Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A diff way to relocate rear shocks

Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A diff way to relocate rear shocks

I was looking into rear shock reloaction brackets. I was looking under my jeep when I thought of this. Couldn't you just cut the lower shock bracket off move it up then weld it back on? Would this cause any problems?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Yeah would give a little more clearance cause mine get beat to death
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ludski

you COULD? i guess.

but then, your shocks would be compressed a little more.
depending on the shock, might give a little more stiffness in the ride quality.
Doesn't any shock relocation that relocates the shock higher compress the shock a little more then stock would? This might be the reason that you look into a shorter rear shock. Keeping the same shock would give more droop but you may unseat springs and mess up brake lines with the extra inch or 2 of droop.

Yes I guess you could cut it off and relocate it but you could probably look into EVO rockstars believe this is name that relocates shock and is a skid in 1.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knnphillips
Doesn't any shock relocation that relocates the shock higher compress the shock a little more then stock would? This might be the reason that you look into a shorter rear shock. Keeping the same shock would give more droop but you may unseat springs and mess up brake lines with the extra inch or 2 of droop.

Yes I guess you could cut it off and relocate it but you could probably look into EVO rockstars believe this is name that relocates shock and is a skid in 1.
Good points and certainly something to check before you do any changes to the shock mount locations, but honestly from the vehicles we have seem when installing the EVO RockStars, these items are almost never a confict. They even work on stock JKs that we have tested.

OP: Moving the rear shock up could work for you (all for DIY stuff so go for it), EVO RockStar will as well with no welding and you gain 1.5" of ground clearance and fully skid the control arm mount. All in one.

Last edited by Andrew@EVOMFG; 09-20-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Yeah that's a good idea. I was just looking into it because I am upgrading coils and the are right at the max of my shock hiegth. Was thinking of this rather than buying extenders
Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Originally Posted by medic_23387
Yeah that's a good idea. I was just looking into it because I am upgrading coils and the are right at the max of my shock hiegth. Was thinking of this rather than buying extenders
I dont know what "max of my shock length" means but we have done a few conversions where customers have upgraded from a 2.5" lift to a 4" and instead of buying new rear shocks they installed the EVO Rockstars. They achieved the same amount of travel as if they had upgraded to 4" shocks and also gained all the additional ground clearance on the lowest hanging part of the JK and protection. So... sounds like a good possiblity for you.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

I think I'm going to do it. I think I'm going to move them up about an inch or so ill post up some pics. Hell if it don't work well ill put it back.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

hey, so these mounts act like a 2 inch down travel extension, will it affect the rake of the jeep at all? or just the benefit of extra droop? cuz that would be awesome. Anyone know?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sneck
hey, so these mounts act like a 2 inch down travel extension, will it affect the rake of the jeep at all? or just the benefit of extra droop? cuz that would be awesome. Anyone know?
I don't think that they will help a lot with rake. Most of that has to do with the springs. Unless your shocks are pretty strong they will have a neglegiable effect on ride height. But honestly I do not know.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

it seems besides extra clearance (which is always good), the only comment people seem to have is that the give more down travel, but limit up travel. My only real question about that is, is limiting up-travel a bad thing? If the axle can't flex into the body as much, doesn't that just mean less chance of high centering?

Quick Reply: A diff way to relocate rear shocks