Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff quick wearing,why?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff quick wearing,why?

Just installed the "superior axle" 5.13 ring and pinion. Done 30miles and found huge shavings when Checking for oil levels. Everything was done as per book like backlash , pinion depth, ring gear markings was perfect as well. My previous one lasted 200miles and started to make a loud noise. Where did I go wrong/ or what am I doing wrong? I used 75w90 oil. Drove in town not more then 60mile and not longer then 7 miles at a time . Can anyone help?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Pictures of the huge shavings would be nice.

First thing to do is take the cover off and see if you can identify the source of the shavings.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

The shavings are from the ring and pinion gears. Looks like they eating each other. The surface of the ring gear is not smooth. Although the front is fine and I did engage into 4wd as much as I could for the first 30miles.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi

sounds like something is misaligned, or the crush sleeves were over torqued and not holding tension
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did u correctly reinstall the slingers & baffles?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default diif wear

Originally Posted by PainKiller
sounds like something is misaligned, or the crush sleeves were over torqued and not holding tension
double checked there is no play in the pinion shaft.
there is a lot of pitting in the gears.
could a cheap oil be the culprit?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mozjeep
double checked there is no play in the pinion shaft.
there is a lot of pitting in the gears.
could a cheap oil be the culprit?
Very doubtful. This sounds more like the gears were installed incorrectly. Without having specs to your install (pinion depth, backlash, bearing preload etc) it's impossible to know exactly what has caused the problem.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

NICE!! but need some pics
Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Very doubtful. This sounds more like the gears were installed incorrectly. Without having specs to your install (pinion depth, backlash, bearing preload etc) it's impossible to know exactly what has caused the problem.
the pinion depth was not measured. but i installed the pinion by grinding the original bearings and fitted the the new pinion using the the old bearings and then adding the shims till the right "marking" was achieved on the ring/crown teeth using the "yellow dye" supplied with the install kit. (I used three shims to get to the correct markings). there after i checked the backlash ( again this was done by mere guess work). which all sounded correct and verified by my friends. thereafter i installed the new bearings on the pinion and installed the ring gear. again i checked for pinion tightness and play. there was none. so the pinion was perfectly placed. (according to me ).then i checked the backlash and the markings on the teeth. all was good to go. i also checked you tube for how to install and everything verified.

i did the same with the front diff.

now after 70km of driving in town not exceeding 15 km at a time over the weekend. On monday checked for the oil levels and found huge fillings in the rear diff but none on the front. ( i did engage in 4wd from time to time).

what confuses me is if my install was incorrect the front diff should also be grinding, but in this case the front diff is perfect with the teeth showing perfect polish and the rear pitting.

is there any manuals that i use to correct this instal for my third attempt.

in the meantime i will try CALTEX 85w140 oil and try run the gears and hopefully they set in until my third set arrives.

any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Mozjeep; 08-05-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Diff quick wearing,why?