Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff pinion depth on a new(ish) JK

Old 01-19-2016, 06:21 AM
aro
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff pinion depth on a new(ish) JK

Just want to share something that I find interesting. This is my gear pattern on a 2015 JK with 7k miles.

It looks like the pinion depth is off. What I find interesting is that although you can say it's a used R&P, it's still pretty new and it shouldn't look like that. I think it came like this from factory. (The stock carrier was replaced with an Ox locker, but that shouldn't affect pinion depth at all).

At this point I'm constantly debating in my mind whether I should open up the pinion and fix the depth. However... that's major work... and I really don't want to do it... Also, the drive pattern is more important than coast, and drive looks better on mine. I don't know... I guess I'm just looking for justification not to open it up

.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	635081Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	635082

Last edited by aro; 01-20-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I regeared my JK a couple of years ago, I checked the factory gear pattern just out of curiosity and it was complete crap. So, I'm not surprised about what you found. I struggled to get my gear pattern perfect but I kept telling myself, hey, at least it's better than factory!! Haha.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 AM
aro
JK Newbie

I guess there are tons of Jeeps out there with real bad patterns. Pretty crazy...

I could drive it like this and check them regularly. If and when they chip, then I open it up and also regear. (Hopefully they wouldn't fail on a trail...)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up a set of Rubicon housings that were regeared to 4.88. This thread shows the pattern I currently have.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...attern-329772/

The front looks rather textbook, but the rear has patterns opposite to yours. And the backlash is double the tolerance.

I am curious what your backlash is?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 AM
aro
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I picked up a set of Rubicon housings that were regeared to 4.88. This thread shows the pattern I currently have.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...attern-329772/

The front looks rather textbook, but the rear has patterns opposite to yours. And the backlash is double the tolerance.

I am curious what your backlash is?
I know, I wrote in that thread

My backlash is .008. In my case, it's the pinion depth set up by factory. In your case, I would get the backlash right and then check pattern. At least eliminate one variable. Backlash and pinion depth work together to a degree, they are not two separate entities.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aro
I know, I wrote in that thread
Doh!

Originally Posted by aro

My backlash is .008. In my case, it's the pinion depth set up by factory. In your case, I would get the backlash right and then check pattern. At least eliminate one variable. Backlash and pinion depth work together to a degree, they are not two separate entities.
I get that part, I guess I'm trying to figure out (for my own edumication) how to determine if it's pinion depth or carrier placement that would correct a specific contact pattern, etc. I guess that's why guys go to mechanic's school.

If I had a bigger shop, a heated garage, and some spare pinion bearings to play with, I might consider tackling it myself, if I knew what to do to correct the patterns I am seeing.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:08 AM
aro
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I'm trying to figure out (for my own edumication) how to determine if it's pinion depth or carrier placement that would correct a specific contact pattern
The thing is that since your backlash isn't right, and backlash and pinion depth are interdependent, there is not way to tell for sure what causes your pattern, or what could correct it.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

There is one way to tell - take it to an expert. I'm hoping to take mine in one Saturday. We'll see what the weather fairies bring us. Been getting dumped on out east of Cleveland.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 AM
aro
JK Newbie

I would pay somebody who does this regularly just to give his opinion based on the photos. I'm surprised nobody offers this service.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aro
Just want to share something that I find interesting. This is my gear pattern on a 2015 JK with 7k miles.

It looks like the pinion depth is off. What I find interesting is that although you can say it's a used R&P, it's still pretty new and it shouldn't look like that. I think it came like this from factory. (The stock carrier was replaced with an Ox locker, but that shouldn't affect pinion depth at all).

At this point I'm constantly debating in my mind whether I should open up the pinion and fix the depth. However... that's major work... and I really don't want to do it... Also, the drive pattern is more important than coast, and drive looks better on mine. I don't know... I guess I'm just looking for justification not to open it up.
I used to do a fair amount of differentials and this is the first I have seen that were off like that. They have to be making noise? I think when they are assembled at the plant they have the exact housing specs and can install the right shim to do it quickly and keep the production line going. I'll bet someone changed the setting when installing the Ox Locker. Those gears will have a short life.

Quick Reply: Diff pinion depth on a new(ish) JK