Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff fluid help

Old 06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff fluid help

I ma installing my SOLID covers tonight front and rear as well as changing my fluid. I know that the front takes 2 quarts, but how much does the back take?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

i thought it was 2.8 for the front and 4.6 for the rear or somthignlike that. OR you can jsut do the finger methond and fill it till you get to the Fill Hole then drive around the block and stick your finger back inthere. I think thats the easiest way. As long as its up to the fill hole your fine. My front took 2.6 before it spewed back out and i have the arb. I havent done my rear yet but advanced says it takes a little more then 2.6 not sure why might be the angle???
Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I did my Riddler rear diff cover yesterday, the factory spec is 2.375 qts. I actually put in 2.6 qts. because there is a little more volume inside with the design of this diff cover.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The important thing with the rear diff is the fluid level is high enough to flow to the outer axle bearings.
Whatever the location of the fill hole, (some after market covers have a much higher fill hole), the fluid level should be a little above the bottom of the axle tube.
You can check this with a homemade "dip stick". Make one from a bent zip tie, for example.
With this information, you will have the correct amount of fluid in the diff, no matter what cover you have, or what anyone says the published amount is.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Get 4 bottles(is it quarts?), a little more than two in the rear, a little less than two in the front.

Quick Reply: Diff fluid help