Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff Covers Install ? s / Tips

Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Covers Install ? s / Tips

I got a set of riddler covers and had a few questions before I went ahead and installed them.

1.In the owners manual it says 80W-90 but on a few write ups I've seen 75W-90?

2.Should I let the RTV cure for a certian amount of time before I refill with oil? and how much in each front 30 and rear 44

3.Im thinking of using the stock drain plugs because they are magnetic?

Heres a pic of what they look like after paint

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715 (900 x 675).jpg
Views:	495
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	15162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722 (900 x 675).jpg
Views:	478
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	15164  
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ShadedOutDoors
[B]I got a set of riddler covers and had a few questions before I went ahead and installed them.

1.In the owners manual it says 80W-90 but on a few write ups I've seen 75W-90?

2.Should I let the RTV cure for a certian amount of time before I refill with oil? and how much in each front 30 and rear 44

3.Im thinking of using the stock drain plugs because they are magnetic?

1) Go with mfg suggested
2) Screw the RTV and get the Lube Blockers from Northridge, worth every penny, reusable dry seal system similar to what most racecar engines have for their valve cover gaskets, metal inserted hight temp silicone covered top/bottom gaskets which were dry.
3) Don't bother because you only have fill plugs not drain plugs on Riddlers. Now I heard a couple of days ago Riddler is now making a newer version with Drain plugs along with fill plugs, not sure how true that is and sucks to hear now that I have my Riddlers installed

Oh yeah they look cool, nice details, they'll last till you hit some trails, rocks, mud, etc then might as well hit them with some black spray paint
Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RuBob
Who cares if they have drain plugs on the covers? There is a drain plug on the side of the diff.

I just re-sealed my rear diff using RTV and then immediately filled it. No leaks, no problems.
Well it'd just be cool if they also had them on the cover like ARB is all, not so much whether anyone should care or not.

Bottom line is they have one of the baddest covers out there
Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet thanks for all the answers guys I feel a little more confident going into this project now. Ill post pics up when i get em on.

Quick Reply: Diff Covers Install ? s / Tips