Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff Covers!!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solids require a little clearance grinding for the d44 electric locker switch on the new Rubicons. Takes no time at all and very easy to do.

They have covers for all the Danas
Old 07-30-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrouse
I know this has been posted a few times on here.....but for good measure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G5upBGBej0

enjoy.

-B
Sweet Jebus! Looks like when it's regear time I'll be ordering me some Riddlers.

I do have one complaint about thier testing. None of the impacts were abrubt hard surface on hard surface contact. The metal had a chance to disburse the load. That likely wouldn't happen off road. That being said, they have one hell of a tensile strength.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Riddlers. A couple of weeks I was driving across a shallow lake (Because I can) scaring the hell out of local beavers who own it, and the front end jumped up 4 or 5 inches and then the whole front rolled over to the left and dropped back down. I knew I hit an unseen undersea rock. When I got back out there was a big gash down to the metal in the paint across the front Riddler right below the "R" all the way across. The magnitude of the gash would have dented or destroyed the factory diff cover. A little touch up paint when I got home and all is well.

Pics from before the latest battle scar.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Total newbie question, but what's the magnetic drain on the bottom for? So you don't have to take the diff cover off to change the fluid?? Never done it, so I don't know. I've noticed that the ARB'S seem to be the only ones with a plug in the bottom.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrouse
...the covers do not have the drain plug...the covers have the fill plug. ARB has a magnetic dipstick fill plug that allows you to view fluid levels and the amount of metal you've got swimming in your fluid, which hopefully the magnetic plugs pulled out.

-B
ARBs also have a drain plug which is a bit redundant on the JK's axles. The JK drain plug is magnetic as well. Unfortunately, you loose a lot of oil if you just want to check for metal filings on the plug. It drains quite well!

The magnetic dip stick seems to be a nice feature, but I'm sold on the Riddlers.

Originally Posted by guybergeron
i saw a review on diff covers in 4x4 magazine january 2009 or it february one......

anyway the ridley finished 6/13.

they fired weapon on them to test ther toughnes. by far the best one is the (great lake extreme offroad up armored version) it even resisted 22-250 remington, 450 marlin, 303 brithsh... maby look on there web site for more info.

2nd was ox and 3rd was gear tech hd.

dynatech and did not do well... almost like stock vs gun fire. solid was betwene riddler and dynatech.

sorry for my english. me= french.

hope i was of some help.
Here's an analysis of the JP Magazine I did a while back. It was done to show if there's a significant difference between cast and steel covers. Shootout evidence doesn't point to a clear advantage to either. Not sure how realistic it is to compare strength by bullet penetration, but I suppose it's an OK relative indicator.

And yes, I DO have too much time on my hands!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

so whitch ones dont u have to modify for the rubi's 44s?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eugene
Fortunately with the steel cover all you need to do is pound it flat with a hammer. Easy trail fix. Only know of one person who bashed his stock cover so bad that he needed to take to it off and pound it out. Now I know that the aftermarket covers look cool, and have magnets (which you can put on stock covers) but I see it as alot to spend for not much more. For a third the cost you can mount a skid (I think Currie makes it). Thats what a few of the rigs I run with have.

I am running skids and agree that the stock will take a lot of abuse and are cheap to replace... I still added a skid as kind of an early warning system... I used the cash i saved for my winch fund.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joes-jk
so whitch ones dont u have to modify for the rubi's 44s?
Riddlers for sure don't need modification to work with the Rubi lockers. They come unpainted - that's why you see so many variations on the color scheme. But that's part of the fun!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Or the $ I went with Solid. Tough yet modest. They even clear dual stablizers too!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Windrocker
ARB!

Yum....

Quick Reply: Diff Covers!!!!