Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff Covers!!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the stock diff cover. You can get them at mopar parts for $9. I got two as spares. Now they may not stand up well to large caliber rounds, I just bang mine into rocks and they do quite well. And so far the only problem I had is when I peeled back the rear diff on a rock. So I ground the cover flush with the pumpkin and haven't had any problems since. And I wheel in some really rocky trails, having just gotten back from the Rubicon yesterday. My gas tank skid took some hits but my diff covers are fine.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I'm probably going to end up with just some okay diff cover armor rather than full covers. Cheaper for right now. I'd like to have some Riddlers though, some day.
Next time your in town let me know. I paid 80 bucks for my riddler.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I'm worried about peeling and kinking it enough to leak the gear lube on the trail, thats my fear more than the $9 cover. Plus they look cool (can't deny that lol)
Fortunately with the steel cover all you need to do is pound it flat with a hammer. Easy trail fix. Only know of one person who bashed his stock cover so bad that he needed to take to it off and pound it out. Now I know that the aftermarket covers look cool, and have magnets (which you can put on stock covers) but I see it as alot to spend for not much more. For a third the cost you can mount a skid (I think Currie makes it). Thats what a few of the rigs I run with have.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

So for someone who doesn't have a rock crawler, what advantages does having an ARB diff cover have over just a cover skid, like the ones that just go over the bottom half of the diff cover, like a guard? I mean, ARB looks cool but for someone who doesn't do competition Krawling, is the risk and amount of protection provided worth $320 of covers compared to say, SOLID?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by vedo13
So for someone who doesn't have a rock crawler, what advantages does having an ARB diff cover have over just a cover skid, like the ones that just go over the bottom half of the diff cover, like a guard? I mean, ARB looks cool but for someone who doesn't do competition Krawling, is the risk and amount of protection provided worth $320 of covers compared to say, SOLID?
Just buy the solid and be done.. My SOLIDs are great...
Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Diff covers

I bought Riddler differential covers front and back. I liked the design (smooth surface plus strong) and price. I'm happy with them so far.

ARB or Teraflex (Dana 44 HD cover) were also considered. Both are expensive.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TeraFlex covers powdercoated red. These bad boys are 3/8" thick cast iron!!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do the SOLIDs require trimming or drilling? Can I get them for both the D35 and D44 for my JK Sahara Unlimited?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered a set of ARB's last night - should be here by tomorrow

I ordered a set of lubelockers as well - - I did a few searches when I was figuring out who to go with for the diff covers and there seem to be mixed impressions about the lubelockers. I can't see why they wouldn't be perfect once yoiu have cleaned up the mating surface and torqued them progressively and evenly - I guess I'll find out shortly.

I have to take the pumpkin apart to fix a front axle seal leak and it seemed like a great opportunity NOT to put the stock cover back on. (and I can hardly replace one with a shiny new ARB and not the other..)

Steve
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

I recently replaced the rear with a Solid diff cover but I really like the way Rock Ready looks .The front is stock for now.

Quick Reply: Diff Covers!!!!