Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

diff cover question...

Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dealer is using the following to fill one diff:
less than two quarts of diff fluid 80/90w at approx $5.99qt for synthetic (autozone price)
1- 4oz bottle of diff additive (limited slip stuff)= 7.99 (local stealership price)
and about a dollars worth of RTV sealent

definatley under 25bucks times 2 diffs and it's still under 50 for sure. I would take them to task for trying to fleece you like that
Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1- 4oz bottle of diff additive (limited slip stuff)= 7.99 (local stealership price)

not needed if the oil is a GL5 or better.

David
Old 12-13-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Can you name a few that are GL5 or better? Royal Purple? Amsoil?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Choppus
Can you name a few that are GL5 or better? Royal Purple? Amsoil?
X2

i ordered 2 covers on that sale too, so how much oil will we need for D30 / D44 ?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
Is the diff additive necessary for those of us that don't have limited slip diff?
no. friction modifier is only needed with a limited slip diffs. however, just about every high quality synth diff fluid already has friction modifier in it and you will not need to add more even if you do have a limited slip.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default diff covers

So someone had told me they had trouble with the Solid covers on their TJ, as far as fitting well and leaking a bit. Anyone encounter such an issue?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by cojk
So someone had told me they had trouble with the Solid covers on their TJ, as far as fitting well and leaking a bit. Anyone encounter such an issue?
nope, never had a problem on my TJ or on my JK. as far as leaking goes, your friend most likely didn't do a good enough job of cleaning up the old gasket/rtv and or didn't do a good job of apply the new gasket/rtv.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this or not but there is a good chance of the track bar hitting the solid if your not lifted. The only way I know to correct this is a after market,track bar like a JKS. I'm speaking of the rear not sure about the front. They are a very nice cover however.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by texmexjeeper
X2

i ordered 2 covers on that sale too, so how much oil will we need for D30 / D44 ?
DON'T FILL THE SOLID D30 DIFF UP TO THE FILL HOLE!!!!! it is higher than the factory fill level and will angrily come out of your axle breather tube and soak your control arm with oil......

My Solid D30 diff cover has rubbed my trackbar at full flex and rubbed the powdercoat off a little bit. now the ridge above th "D" in Solid has flattend out only on the very edge... Any one else have this? No complaints, just a little mark...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Rhino64
I don't know if anybody has mentioned this or not but there is a good chance of the track bar hitting the solid if your not lifted. The only way I know to correct this is a after market,track bar like a JKS. I'm speaking of the rear not sure about the front. They are a very nice cover however.
honestly, i have not heard of there being any clearance issues on a stock setup before on the rear. i know that doojer has a set on his jeep and ran them stock without any problems.

Originally Posted by The_Captain
DON'T FILL THE SOLID D30 DIFF UP TO THE FILL HOLE!!!!! it is higher than the factory fill level and will angrily come out of your axle breather tube and soak your control arm with oil......
exactly. make sure that you only put in the factory amount required and not fill to the fill hole or else you will have a mess on your hands

My Solid D30 diff cover has rubbed my trackbar at full flex and rubbed the powdercoat off a little bit. now the ridge above th "D" in Solid has flattend out only on the very edge... Any one else have this? No complaints, just a little mark...
i haven't seen this happen on a stock setup but i could see how it could happen up front especially if you have a good amount of stuff.

Quick Reply: diff cover question...