Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

diff cover noobie questions.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
If your are ordering from Northridge4x4, just ask them what you will need. They will give you good info and only let you order what you need.
Ya i have ordered from dave before. He is a great guy . I have definitely picked his brain quite a few times. The only things i'm not ordering from him are my front bumper and my winch. Quadratec gets them because they are smittybuilt. Yes i know i have heard sh*ttybuilt before but i have heard great things about their xrc8 winch and their xrc bumper.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sringer
Ya i have ordered from dave before. He is a great guy . I have definitely picked his brain quite a few times. The only things i'm not ordering from him are my front bumper and my winch. Quadratec gets them because they are smittybuilt. Yes i know i have heard sh*ttybuilt before but i have heard great things about their xrc8 winch and their xrc bumper.
Just installed the XRC front bumper and it is awesome!!!

There are 12 bolts total, and the 4 along the bottom may not line up quite right with the 2-door. But just with the 8 bolts, that thing is solid! I just left the bottom 4 bolts out and it is good to go.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zippyd8
Just installed the XRC front bumper and it is awesome!!!

There are 12 bolts total, and the 4 along the bottom may not line up quite right with the 2-door. But just with the 8 bolts, that thing is solid! I just left the bottom 4 bolts out and it is good to go.
ya i like it. i think i might get it
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd save the dough, the stock diff covers on the jk are good.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by drivingfool
i have essentially an unlimited source of income...jeep is almost paid off. no college money. just graduated high school last year. parents giving one year free rent and paying insurance. all i have is gas money and mod money =) so i am dropping every paycheck into it right now. my next paycheck has 20 hrs overtime to soo...ya...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by drivingfool
Good for what? The lip of the covers peel back pretty easily and let the lube out. Running a dry differential makes for a bad day.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Riddlers, like the Poison Spyders, are great. You get to paint them as you like. They also can take backing into rocks on the trail. I know the stock covers would have leaked on me with my crappy driving. Sorry I don't have a picture of my front cover, but it is a Dana 30 cover and it is a different shape than the 44 cover. Also if you are looking at budget, then just get the rear. Most people don't hit the front diff cover too often.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110110_204421.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	129754Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-03-13 18 41 52..jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	129755
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
Good for what? The lip of the covers peel back pretty easily and let the lube out. Running a dry differential makes for a bad day.
Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Mb good for driving on the street. Not so good on the rocks.
its never good to go without being properly lubricated ...o by the way...they are good for mall crawling =)
Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by remark
Most people don't hit the front diff cover too often.

Attachment 129754Attachment 129755
yea, tell that to the guy with a bad spotter
Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captjay
yea, tell that to the guy with a bad spotter
The tie rod gets bent more often than the front diff cover gets hit. That is because the tires normally lift the jeep up before the rock hits the cover, but since the tie rod is out in front it gets hit and bent a lot. Granted it is still possible to get a really crappy spotter the helps destroy you front diff cover.

Quick Reply: diff cover noobie questions.