Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

diff cover noobie questions.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff cover noobie questions.

hey everyone,

When looking at a website such as northridge4x4, there are diff covers. I am looking at the psc bombshells. I was going to buy the dana 30 front for my wrangler x and the dana 44 for my rear. Do these go on either the front or the back of the diff? should i get diff covers for the backside of my diffs as well as the front side? Do 2 diff covers come in a pack?

I am super confused on this.

Thanks soo much!

Sean
Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

The dana 30 and dana 44 covers have different bolt patterns and you will need a specific cover for each. You don't have to get both covers but I would recommend it. They are usually purchased separately unless someone is running a package type deal.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sringer
hey everyone,

When looking at a website such as northridge4x4, there are diff covers. I am looking at the psc bombshells. I was going to buy the dana 30 front for my wrangler x and the dana 44 for my rear. Do these go on either the front or the back of the diff? should i get diff covers for the backside of my diffs as well as the front side? Do 2 diff covers come in a pack?

I am super confused on this.

Thanks soo much!

Sean
riddler makes the PSC's but they put a spyder logo on them for looks. the brand "SOLID" was having a sale on theirs so you could get 2 for the price of one ...just my .02

on the front dana 30 the diff cover goes on the front of the housing . the dana 44 diff cover mounts on the backside of the rearend housing. If you look under your JK you will see the bolts where they mount and on the opposite side where the drive shafts come out and that might explain it better for you to understand. the covers are sold separately and the D30 has a different bolt pattern than a D44, so you would need 1 D30 cover and 1 D44 cover

Last edited by PainKiller; 02-20-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
The dana 30 and dana 44 covers have different bolt patterns and you will need a specific cover for each. You don't have to get both covers but I would recommend it. They are usually purchased separately unless someone is running a package type deal.
thanks! Are the front and back of the diffs the same? i.e just add 2 dana 30 covers to my cart and add 2 dana 44 covers to my cart?

thanks,

Sean
Old 02-20-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

wait nevermind i get it. you dont put one on the front and back of each diff just one per diff. i got it.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you look at the diff, where you see the ring of bolts, that cover is removed and your new cover bolts in. you swap them out. only 1 d30 cover and only 1d44 cover
Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you are going to get diff covers then you realize that you will most likely also be due for a diff fluid change, correct? I put on a cover and the diff started to leak after tightening the bolts down, also- the dealer just replaced the gaskets and fluid about 2 weeks ago. Needless to say- lubelockers are on the way.

Edit: You only need 1 of each cover unless you are buying covers for me too!
while I'm sure lubelockers are great, I have never used a gasket and perfectly fine with black permatex, granted I do have to use new permatex each time the diff cover is taken off which isn't very often. but for me, no worries, I keep a tube in the tool box.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Only one cover goes on each diff.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies!

i am getting all my bumper and armor stuff ordered up here in the next week or so...just had 30 hrs overtime on my last paycheck =)

Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

If your are ordering from Northridge4x4, just ask them what you will need. They will give you good info and only let you order what you need.

Quick Reply: diff cover noobie questions.