Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff. cover dilemma

Old 01-16-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
ive heard that, but mine were fine. You could always use a thread sealant also if you get a bad one, but i agree it shouldnt be that way.
Well. It would screw all the way in until it could fall in! Lol
Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the Riddler's and they rubbed slkightly, front and rear. Not enough to bother me though.

The Solid might have inside clearance issues with the Rubi locker... might want to look into that to see if they corrected it.

ARB covers are the standard.... Okay?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Riddler. They're better on my wallet and more importantly they look like they'll slide off stuff better. No clearance issues for me so far with stock suspension.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
I ran the Riddler's and they rubbed slkightly, front and rear. Not enough to bother me though.

The Solid might have inside clearance issues with the Rubi locker... might want to look into that to see if they corrected it.

ARB covers are the standard.... Okay?
Solid and Rubi locker ... Are you talking front and back? What about an ARB air locker in the rear of a 44?

I only ask because I'm getting and ARB locker put in my rear 44 in March with chromoly axle shafts and wanted to replace the rear diff cover at the same time(shop has SOLID & POISON SPYDER) .... My front has the ARB locker with the Dynatrac cover (PR44).... Thx
Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the PSC covers front and rear. The rear is fine but with the stock tie rod and the stock steering stabilizer tie rod bracket get really close. Only thing I like about the arb is the dip stick.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I have solid covers, hard to beat the price and toughness these offer, they really are solid. I will say that the only downside is that my front diff cover has seen plenty of hits against rocks and it has deformed the heads on the Allen bolts so much so on a few of them that I cannot take them out. I wish that they were recessed like the ARB covers.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Solid and Rubi locker ... Are you talking front and back? What about an ARB air locker in the rear of a 44?

I only ask because I'm getting and ARB locker put in my rear 44 in March with chromoly axle shafts and wanted to replace the rear diff cover at the same time(shop has SOLID & POISON SPYDER) .... My front has the ARB locker with the Dynatrac cover (PR44).... Thx

Honestly... I don't recall all the specifics. What I do remember is that the Rubicon's had an issue and you'd just have to clearance the inside of the cover a little bit. Really not a big deal, but who knows... some guys might not have access to a grinder or have the desire to use one. I want to say it was just the Rubicon's setup that had an issue, but I am not 100%. I'm guessing I bought those covers in late 09 and the debate on them seemed to be a fresh one. Might use Google and search the forums for Solid in that time frame to get better info that I am giving you.

The PSC covers are the same as the Riddlers... or were at least the last time I looked at them. I'm guessing Riddler actually is the manufacture on those as they had that style out first. I think I've seen a few others getting them done with their logo as well. If you go that route... look at price.

The Solids have always seemed to be the best value. I'd probably have bought them instead of the Riddlers, but AFAIR, I got them on a sale and the price was nearly the same. I can't speak for clearance with the air locker, since I've never run one.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Love my solids, great product for a great price. Lube lockers are a great idea as well.

Sent from S4 via Tapatalk 4
Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 AM
JK Newbie

Another Option I never see mentioned is Ruff Stuff Specialties PLATE covers. They are constructed out of 3/8" plate and are VERY VERY solid covers. I have had a 97 Ranger since it was new running on various lift kits and use a Ruff stuff cover on my rear Diff. That thing has been smashed into just about anything you can think of on a trail and shows no signs of damage. I did have mine powder coated when I first got it because it was a lot more durable then just painting it.

Differential Covers & Armor - RuffStuff Specialties

Sorry if you are not allowed to post a link to a non forum supporting business.

Everything I have ever gotten from them has seemed to be of great quality.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX

Honestly... I don't recall all the specifics. What I do remember is that the Rubicon's had an issue and you'd just have to clearance the inside of the cover a little bit. Really not a big deal, but who knows... some guys might not have access to a grinder or have the desire to use one. I want to say it was just the Rubicon's setup that had an issue, but I am not 100%. I'm guessing I bought those covers in late 09 and the debate on them seemed to be a fresh one. Might use Google and search the forums for Solid in that time frame to get better info that I am giving you.

The PSC covers are the same as the Riddlers... or were at least the last time I looked at them. I'm guessing Riddler actually is the manufacture on those as they had that style out first. I think I've seen a few others getting them done with their logo as well. If you go that route... look at price.

The Solids have always seemed to be the best value. I'd probably have bought them instead of the Riddlers, but AFAIR, I got them on a sale and the price was nearly the same. I can't speak for clearance with the air locker, since I've never run one.
Ok thanks I'll do some searching and ask the shop as well..... He works on jeeps only 90% of the time has a great built up jeep himself and sponsors many jeep events up here. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Diff. cover dilemma