Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff change without changing gear ratio

Old 10-23-2016, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff change without changing gear ratio

As I have never changed out my differential before I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this before. I currently have 15 willys and would like to swap out the rear LSD with TruTrac but do not want change my gear ratio. I was curious if I could pull out my ring gear and LSD, swap out the LSD for the TruTrac and put it back in without having to do all the stuff that comes with swapping a ring and pinion (ie. Checking pre-load, backlash, patterning the gear, etc). I fully understand the process of swapping a ring and pinion, but as many of I'm sure have experienced, knowing and doing are two different things haha. Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2016, 04:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved thread to Modified JK Tech as this is the appropriate place and will allow more members to view and respond.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The carrier size will be slightly different and bearings will need to be pressed on the truetrack carrier, therefore shims and shim placement will be different. So a full set up must be done.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

That is what I was afraid of. Like I said I understand the theory of doing the full setup, I but I am not sure I am feeling gutsy enough to give it a go.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Panzerjager
That is what I was afraid of. Like I said I understand the theory of doing the full setup, I but I am not sure I am feeling gutsy enough to give it a go.
Its not fun
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You can most likely just change the carrier / ring gear and just set the backlash. Pinion depth setting won't change. Will be wise to check the pattern just to be sure.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SoK66
You can most likely just change the carrier / ring gear and just set the backlash. Pinion depth setting won't change. Will be wise to check the pattern just to be sure.
This is true. That said, it really is something best left to a professional. Get something a little wrong and you can blow the rear end pretty quick and then you're out a lot of money.

Any decent shop would only charge around $300 to do the work. Money well spent.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
This is true. That said, it really is something best left to a professional. Get something a little wrong and you can blow the rear end pretty quick and then you're out a lot of money.

Any decent shop would only charge around $300 to do the work. Money well spent.

I am inclined to agree with you, however, I have not had much luck finding 4x4 offroad shops in Wisconsin. It is not a very 4x4 friendly state in my opinion. If anyone knows of any I am all ears!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Panzerjager
I am inclined to agree with you, however, I have not had much luck finding 4x4 offroad shops in Wisconsin. It is not a very 4x4 friendly state in my opinion. If anyone knows of any I am all ears!
Maertz lives in WI. Send him a message and see if he knows.

Quick Reply: Diff change without changing gear ratio