Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diff breather tube keeps getting plugged

Old 02-04-2020, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Diff breather tube keeps getting plugged

i have a prorock60 front diff breather tube that keeps getting plugged with gear oil. last summer first noticed passenger side axle tube was leaking gear oil. i opened the fill plug and blew through the breather tube and cleared some gear oil out. this alleviated the leak out the axle tube. the oil level is about a half inch below the fill plug. im still clearing the breather tube out 6months later. any ideas why this keeps occurring? rear pr60 is fine. the front has been fine for the last 6 or 7 years until now. nothings changed.
thanks
Old 02-04-2020, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Strange problem. Does the breather hose have a low spot that would trap oil? Maybe the inards of the hose are deteriorated and it's narrowed or somewhat restricted by some rubber flaking off the inside? Perhaps change out the hose and see what happens?

Old 02-06-2020, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Strange problem. Does the breather hose have a low spot that would trap oil? Maybe the inards of the hose are deteriorated and it's narrowed or somewhat restricted by some rubber flaking off the inside? Perhaps change out the hose and see what happens?

no low spots. maybe i will try a new hose and breather. thanks
Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Is the vent line clear from the diff to engine compartment? assuming it's still going to it's factory location in the engine bay. Sounds like the diff is not venting properly.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an ARB locker? If so, the the fitting attaching to the actuator on the inside starts to leak after a year or so and when you engage the locker air leaks into the diff causing pressure build up and it will push the gear oil up into the breather.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirt Hammer
Is the vent line clear from the diff to engine compartment? assuming it's still going to it's factory location in the engine bay. Sounds like the diff is not venting properly.
It is clear and still goes up into engine bay. Thanks

Originally Posted by LandCruiser96
Do you have an ARB locker? If so, the the fitting attaching to the actuator on the inside starts to leak after a year or so and when you engage the locker air leaks into the diff causing pressure build up and it will push the gear oil up into the breather.
I do but it hasnt worked in years and i dont have any reserver air tanks, just the mini tanks that come on the arb dual air compressor but its always discharged. Maybe its somehow leaking when i air up my tires. Will have to look into that. Thanks
Old 02-14-2020, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by LandCruiser96
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as it's perplexed me a bit. This makes some sense right here. Interesting.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default problem solved

turns out i did have a low spot. the hose had slowly slipped down and would trap oil in the low spot. i pulled it back up and refastened the clip that holds the hose on the frame rail and its been clear the last few weeks. special thanks to mr.t and all others of course
The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (03-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Diff breather tube keeps getting plugged