Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: diesel oil change in jk
possible
21.28%
not possible
8.51%
bullshit dumb idea
70.21%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Diesel oil in your jk

Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotella-T oil is designed for diesel engines, but is virtually identical to the engine oil designed for motorcycles with a wet clutch. 15W-40 is prefered, depending on your temperature range. As far as putting it in a Wrangler, it does not have the energy conserving properties in it, as such it can't be used in the newer engines. However, it can be used in older engines. The problem is that they only have 2 multi-weight types. As far as it being "cheap" oil, Rotella has some of the highest following of dino oil users. You do, however, want to use Rotella gear oil in your diff's. 80W-90 for regular use. I have done extensive reaserch, as well as talking with the experts, and will use Rotella products where possible. (Just not in the engine of my JK)
Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like a good way to get to do that Hemi swap!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fletch
Rotella-T oil is designed for diesel engines, but is virtually identical to the engine oil designed for motorcycles with a wet clutch. 15W-40 is prefered, depending on your temperature range. As far as putting it in a Wrangler, it does not have the energy conserving properties in it, as such it can't be used in the newer engines. However, it can be used in older engines. The problem is that they only have 2 multi-weight types. As far as it being "cheap" oil, Rotella has some of the highest following of dino oil users. You do, however, want to use Rotella gear oil in your diff's. 80W-90 for regular use. I have done extensive reaserch, as well as talking with the experts, and will use Rotella products where possible. (Just not in the engine of my JK)
absolutely right. Rotella T is a great scooter oil in the dino or the synthetic. Next to Royal Purple and Amsoil it has a great following among many bikers.
The only thing to watch out for is the EC (energy conserving) designation on any oil, not good at all for wet clutch m/c applications.

Do not use a motorcycle oil in a wrangler....because, hey if you look it's got 4 wheels not 2 !!!!! You should probably stay away from MC tires as well....

The Big Boo
Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=
Do not use a motorcycle oil in a wrangler....because, hey if you look it's got 4 wheels not 2 !!!!! You should probably stay away from MC tires as well....

The Big Boo[/QUOTE]

Well if you use twice as much oil, isn't that alright then?

Still a stupid thread
Old 08-28-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cuteandcool
absolutely right. Rotella T is a great scooter oil in the dino or the synthetic. Next to Royal Purple and Amsoil it has a great following among many bikers.
The only thing to watch out for is the EC (energy conserving) designation on any oil, not good at all for wet clutch m/c applications.
This is what I've heard as well. I've heard alot of car people rave about the Rotella-T, I think alot of people on the boboilguy forums use it also with regular oil analasys showing it works.
I'm running Mobile-1 in my bike and from what I've read on the Kawiforums as long as it is not EC like stated then it is fine.

For a JK though, No the weights are all wrong.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah rotella is great shit for bikes with wet clutches. great shit for trucks too. Wouldn't use in your jk thoough
Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Rotella T diesel oils for years in my Dodge, Cummins. The old 92 had 431,000 miles when I sold it and it had never had the pan or head pulled. My new one runs on the Rotella T. My JK has synthetic and only that.

Oldest brother had an old 3406 Cat in his semi that had over a millon miles on it with the Rotella and no overhaul.

Best to stick with what the manufacture recommends and leave the
Bxxx Sxxx to those with deep pockets!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
A motorcycle is a completely different system.

The oil in the crank-case is shared in the gearbox (they are one in the same) and unless it is a dry clutch setup, the friction plates (the clutch) are bathed in the same oil (wet clutch).

Technically, some motorcycles have a separate transmission, i.e. HD and a Honda 450. The typical application of Rotella is used in Harley crankcases and other air cooled engines. Since Rotella has no friction modifies, a MC with a wet clutch would be happy. . As stated above, It would probably be fine in a jeep crankcase.

Last edited by johnnyd; 08-28-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

using diesel oil in your jeep engine will clean it and eventually you will lose compression due to the heavy cleaning agents used in diesel oil. i actually brought this up about a month ago and did research on using diesel oil in a gasoline engine. you can run it on a diesel oil for about 500 miles and then you have to change your oil. the reason it works so well in bikes is it doesnt have as much slippery stuff like regular oils do, there for the wet clutch grabs and not slips. hope this helps

Quick Reply: Diesel oil in your jk