Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: diesel oil change in jk
possible
21.28%
not possible
8.51%
bullshit dumb idea
70.21%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Diesel oil in your jk

Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel oil in your jk

A friend of mine has a honda goldwing. He told me by putting rotalla diesel oil. I don't know what weight. I assume 20w50. He claims his shifts are alot smoother. He changed the oil in the pan not the tranny fluid. Anyone heard of this being done? Would something like this work in the jk? Now i gotta tell ya when he 1st told me about this diesel oil swap. My internal bullshit meter registered about a 9 on a scale of 10. I am not going to do this on my jk. I just wanted to know if it could be done in theory.& until the replies come in.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

The oil in your crankcase has nothing to do with your shifpoints or how your tranny shifts. However there is nothing wrong with running a diesel grade oil as long as it is the correct weight.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't believe I'm actually replying to this.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EmbarkChief
The oil in your crankcase has nothing to do with your shifpoints or how your tranny shifts. However there is nothing wrong with running a diesel grade oil as long as it is the correct weight.
Yup....what he said....
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
A motorcycle is a completely different system.

The oil in the crank-case is shared in the gearbox (they are one in the same) and unless it is a dry clutch setup, the friction plates (the clutch) are bathed in the same oil (wet clutch).

So different oils will affect the way a motorcycle shifts and how the clutch engages.

Passenger vehicles do not use this type of system.

Not on dirt bikes but yes in his gold wing. You will RUIN the clutch on a street bike by using automobile oils in it. I work at a motorcycles dealership and have had bikes for more then 20 years. Diesel oil is 15w40. Run the oil that the manual says to run it it , the made the vehicle after all !
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting 20w50 Rotella Diesel oil in your JK is a really bad idea. That stuff is cheap junk and full of paraffin wax and other garbage you don't want plugging up the galleries in your motor. Use a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or Castrol in 5w20. Can't believe anyone would even consider this let alone create a poll about it...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
A motorcycle is a completely different system.

The oil in the crank-case is shared in the gearbox (they are one in the same) and unless it is a dry clutch setup, the friction plates (the clutch) are bathed in the same oil (wet clutch).

So different oils will affect the way a motorcycle shifts and how the clutch engages.

Passenger vehicles do not use this type of system.

Now see that I learn something everyday. I didn't know that about motorcycles. So maybe he's not full of shit. But i'll stick with my syn. oil in the jk. Thanks for that tidbit me
Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, didn't know that about motorcycles either... I learned something today

BTW, generally diesel oil's have much more advanced add packs than regular "gas" oil's do.

To learn more than you really want to know about oil you can visit www.bobistheoilguy.com and spend the next 2 months reading.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepcanoe
Now see that I learn something everyday. I didn't know that about motorcycles. So maybe he's not full of shit. But i'll stick with my syn. oil in the jk. Thanks for that tidbit me
No your right he's full of it .
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...ue#Post4418938

Quick Reply: Diesel oil in your jk