Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

didnt fit

Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default didnt fit

so my 35 inch spare dont fit it hits my bumper i dont understand why cause i know alot of peeps run the 35 inch spare on teh stock mount. so im not looking into a rear bumper and tires carrier i would like to spend as little as possible. and i dont want anythgin to huge any suggestions
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

They make alot of adaptors they push the spare out a little to allow you to mount a 35" tire. The problem is you'll get alot of vibration out of the spare because it will not contact the bump stops on the tailgate. This vibration will also cause wear on the tailgate and hinge assemblies. I made two lift plates that moved the whole spare carrier up 3" and then replaced the rubber bump stop on the tail gate with 3/8 flat head bolts I can adjust the meet the tire. I then mounted one of the factory bump stops on the bumper that helps support the tire when closed. Add a little felt strip to the button latch assembly and I get very little noise and no vibration. Temp fix till I can afford a rear bumper but better then anything I have seem on the market. If you'd like I'll post some pics when I get home. I now run a 37" spare.

Last edited by AZOverland; 10-05-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

i guess it would be safer to get a tire carrie i dont wanna fuck up the tail get i was looking at this one but i dont know if it is for the jk some places say it is some say its not so idk

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...4&partID=10503

i know it say 06 for that bumper but i seen it on a few sites that say 07-09 but im not sure who to belave or if it fits both idk but this is the price range i have to work with
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Junkie

yeah just consider yourself lucky cuz mine fit and I screwed up my tailgate thinking "my tailgate wont get screwed"
Well it seems the bigger tire also sticks out more than stock and can easily contact the ground when going through holes or clibing or comming off a ledge, thats when my tailgate got mangled
Definatly get a bumper that can handle the abuse
Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by deekum1627
so my 35 inch spare dont fit it hits my bumper i dont understand why cause i know alot of peeps run the 35 inch spare on teh stock mount. ...
It will depend on your wheel backspacing and tire width. And maybe even on the brand of tire (because some 35s are closer to really being 35 inches than others; most are quite a bit smaller). IOW: Not all 35s and wheels are the same.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi

I put mine in the back till I can afford a tire carrier
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It will depend on your wheel backspacing and tire width. And maybe even on the brand of tire (because some 35s are closer to really being 35 inches than others; most are quite a bit smaller). IOW: Not all 35s and wheels are the same.
yea i know mine is nitto and they are a true 35
Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
JTG
JK Enthusiast

I run 315/70 R17 Duratracs on 4.75" backspacing and mine didn't fit without an extension.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

This is what you need:

TeraFlex Spare Tire Extension Bracket

I would also look at getting these to avoid damaging your tailgate.

MBRP Inc. Spare Tire Bracket Reinforcing Kit

and

Daystar Tailgate Bump Stops
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased the MBRP brackets and Daystar bump stops but really didn't like the fit of either. I am thinking about welding a nut on the back of the MBRP bracket instead of the C clips and then installing them but with the C clip surface area contacting the tailgate is no larger then the stock nuts.

Last edited by AZOverland; 10-06-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: didnt fit