Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Did search still wondering (tires & gears)

Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did search still wondering (tires & gears)

I have read as much as I can (not much) about 4.10 gears and 35's. I have a 6 spd. and will be installing a 3" Zone Offroad lift in a couple of weeks. The lift is ordered and I am now second guessing my tire choice. I was going with 35x12.5x18 Toyo MT's. The more I read the more worried I am about the driveability of my Jeep. I am not worried about MPG. I AM worried about my twice a year camping trips to N.C. (mountains). I am considering a pop up camper, nothing big, but still, trying to tow a camper, carry my family of five, and enough crap for a week of camping. I don't have the $ for new gears and the camper would have to come first. I am trying not to let vanity (35's) get in the way. Most of the wheeling I do is mud related, but I am not sure the 35's would give me much over the 33's that I am now considering. Anyone with experience on this one PLEASE chime in.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you towed yet with the stock 32's? I ahve the 3.73's and am underpowered before I move up to 35's. However, if I kick out the OD I am able to do OK when towing. (as long as I don't get in too much of a hurry)

If you aren't as worried about clearance and vanity, I'd probably go with something a little shorter, such as 33's or there are a few tires you can get that come out to 34".
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I have towed a small (15ft) flats skiff with out issue. That was only 2000 lbs.(ish).
Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4.10's 35's and a 6 speed manual. I LOVE IT.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

JK, I keep reading how I will lose my 6th gear on the highway and God help me if I tow anything or drive in the mountains. In normal driving, how is it on the hwy. Have you towed anything? I am not worried about offroad, I know it will be fine. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Did search still wondering (tires & gears)