Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Did I make a Mistake???

Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I make a Mistake???

So soon after getting my JKU I decided the First thing I needed to do was get rid of the car tires. So I found ab awesome deal on some Goodyear MT/R's. I wanted to get the 285/70R17 but they were on back order and the deal was up in 2 days. So I checked on other sizes, the only size available was the 255/75R17. So because I have no patience I pulled the trigger and bought them. Now the issue Im having is Im about to get my 2.5" Rough Country lift and am worried about the look and tire selection. Anyone have In put on these tires?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

I feel the lift will make them look small.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

It won't be as bad as you think but you won't like it either. Chalk that up to a (insert $ amount here) lesson in patience. I had mine lifted a week waiting on my tires to come in so I have a little idea of what it will look like.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stockers on a Rubi look small w/a 2.5 lift.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

The tire you wanted was about 32.7 inches tall and the one you got is about 32.1.... so you will be a little shorter and a little narrower. IMO even with the tires you were going to get the lift is not necessary. With those tires I would just get a leveling kit . That is more than enough. You really don't need a 2.5 lift. That is just my opinion. Bottom line is, it's your call....
Old 12-12-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really don't like them with the new lift and have some extra cash or credit, then take them off. Then get the tires you really want and put the others on craigslist or some other add. Yeah you will lose money, but if you can afford to be patient you may get a fairly good price for them.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
If you really don't like them with the new lift and have some extra cash or credit, then take them off. Then get the tires you really want and put the others on craigslist or some other add. Yeah you will lose money, but if you can afford to be patient you may get a fairly good price for them.
I think he answered the patience question by jumping the gun and buying the tire he didn't want to begin with. But your right about craigslist, he may lose a hundred or two but he could chalk that up to a learning experiece.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dont worry about it. THose MTR's wear pretty poorly. You will be replacing them soon enough. Balance and rotate about every 5K miles too or they get pretty rough.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by highwayman
The stockers on a Rubi look small w/a 2.5 lift.
I guess it's perspective. I think it looks fine, and has on mine for 3 years now. Stock 32's and 4" lift. Works great and I won't have handling issues like many who over-size their tires/wheels. Does great at Moab too.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Order a lowering kit instead of a lift and get 3in wheel spacers and those tires will look bigger.

Quick Reply: Did I make a Mistake???