Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diablo Predator Tuner

Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo Predator Tuner

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I finally pulled the trigger on a tuner and went with the Diablo Predator. I plan on getting the Ripp long tube headers tomorrow and the guys over there were saying there's absolutely zero comparison between diablo and superchips. Superchips are all canned tunes as opposed to the diablo which has both canned as well as the ability to remap the entire ecu. It seems pretty sick and I got it for $300 shipped. Ill put a video up when I get it!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

I definitely look forward to your findings. On another Chrysler vehicle platform, with a ton more performance parts available, there is a large crew of people that run the Diablo. Definitely good stuff and gives the more heavily modified vehicles a true programmer to take advantage of things like cams, long tubes, aftermarket cylinder heads and larger bore throttle bodies. What the Diablo doesn't do is bring more to the party for the guy running short tubes, an intake and exhaust.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya I have a trueflow xdi and a magnaflow. I'm sure itll be sick. If they tune it to the headers I think thatll give me more of a gain than ANYTHING else. Superchips can't handle this =] and superchips was 15 more bucks!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Arcticanalog
Ya I have a trueflow xdi and a magnaflow. I'm sure itll be sick. If they tune it to the headers I think thatll give me more of a gain than ANYTHING else. Superchips can't handle this =] and superchips was 15 more bucks!
Yeah, well that's the key. Someone will need to tune it to the headers. If your capable, then great. If not you'll need to pay someone to do it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diablo Predator Tuner

Originally Posted by JPop

Yeah, well that's the key. Someone will need to tune it to the headers. If your capable, then great. If not you'll need to pay someone to do it.
To add custom tunes are not cheap. I bought my sct xcal2 for my cobra for 270 bucks, and paid another $300 for the custom dyno tune, 5 or 6 pulls. Not cheap at all, and not beneficial unless you have major mods. It's also my understanding nit just anyone can get the CMR software from diablosport to do custom tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd consider long tube headers and high flow cats a major mod. What would you do? Return the diablo and get a superchips...even when they say don't get one?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd consider long tube headers and high flow cats a major mod. What would you do? Return the diablo and get a superchips...even when they say don't get one?
I as well as many others would consider exhaust upgrades a minor bolt on. While expensive, still a bolt on. When I say major mods I mean turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous oxide, ported heads, bigger cam, etc. Im not saying I'd return the Predator. Just saying, a diablosport predator has the ABILITY to custom tune, in the right hands. It comes with "canned tunes" just like all the other programmers out there when it shows up at your door. And those people/shops experienced enough to custom tune charge alot of mony, since it really requires dyno time which is charged by the hour($50 or more just to have your vehicle on the rollers), and takes a few pulls and a few hours to do right. It isn't cheap, $300 easily, some places near double that, just for the custom tune. It also requires custom software from diablosport that does not come with the predator. And last I checked on it you must be an authorized diablosport dealer with custom tuning ability to get that software (which is why I use SCT Pro racer software) and program to write the custom tunes that are uploaded into the Predator.

There's not really any options if your doing those mods. It really sucks because the JK has a speed density equipped fuel management system, instead of the much more efficient and desireable mass air flow meter system that came out in the late 80's on American cars. A MAF equipped system can see the increase in airflow due to a more efficient intake/exhaust/headers, and adjust itself accordingly to take advantage of the increase in volumetric efficiency(to an extent depending on things like maf counts/voltage, fuel injector/fuel pump duty cycle and other very complicated parameters of the pcm). Adding the cai/ full exhaust/headers to a JK with speed density leans the fuel trims out and throws off the WOT air/fuel ratios by making it too lean, which causes detonation and potential engine failure when abused. No one has a canned tune that works with those minor bolt ons, and it's the reason you don't get much gain with them on a stock JK.

So what I'm trying to say, is those minor bolt ons on a JK really require a custom tune for them to be optimal and be taken full advantage of, and it's very expensive. And the Diablosport Predator is the only programmer out there that can be used to do that. But without getting it custom tuned, your Predator is no different to marginally better than a Hypertech or Superchips tuner.

Last edited by highoctane; 06-22-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where did you hear that you couldn't get the software? I'm pretty sure it comes with the USB pack you can get. If not I'm pretty confident any shop with a dyno can do it off that software. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Where did you hear that you couldn't get the software? I'm pretty sure it comes with the USB pack you can get. If not I'm pretty confident any shop with a dyno can do it off that software. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure.
Your Predator should come with the software to install on your computer to download updates from Diablosport for the programmer, and another program to install/remove tunes on the programmer.

From Diablosports website.

diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=150

Predator Custom Tuning
Custom tunes are most likely needed if you modified your car, which are available from any CMR dealer.

Click here to find a CMR dealer in your area.

The Predator can hold up to 5 custom tunes made by any CMR dealer nationwide, the upload process is less than 30sec. This makes the predator a valuable product to have. If you tuned your vehicle from stock and like the power your car is producing, most likely you will start adding modifications to your car as time goes on. Good thing you have a predator because u can go to any of our CMR dealers and get a custom tune for your exact modification setup. Your car will run better, faster and get the best gas mileage that can be achieved for that particular modification setup.

Many of your custom tuning questions involving DiabloSport products, they may already be answered in the FAQ section of our website. If not you can post questions and get the answers in 24 hours. Please refer to FAQ or for all your custom dyno tuning needs please refer to our dealer locator to find the
CMR tuning dealer near you.

Also this should help too.

diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=38

DiabloSport Custom Tuning

Custom Tuning is needed whenever you add certain aftermarket products. DiabloSport Standard default tunes are designed for stock/mildly modified vehicles only.

DiabloSport understands that not every vehicle is identical and that some vehicles with certain modifications require special attention. The predator is set up to work with stock to mildly modified vehicles. Custom tuning is required for applications that exceed this. DiabloSport CMR dealers can make the tune for you.

Diablosport's large network of dealers using Chipmaster Revolution Software can dyno tune your car or truck at their location or you can also get tunes via e-mail. Your car or truck does not have to be heavily modified to benefit from custom dyno tuning. Please lookup a dealer in your area using our dealer locator.

Usually, Custom Tune is usually completed within a few days after they receive your Original Tune or request for changes (more info below). Please Contact your CMR dealer for all of your custom tuning needs. You will have to supply the tuner with your Original Tune.

The steps necessary to custom program your vehicle:

read your vehicle's ORIGINAL (stock) tune with the Predator

transfer the tune into your PC using our Windows based PC Interface

email it to the tuner

tuner will modify it per your specification

tuner will email the custom tune to you

transfer it back into your Predator using the same PC Interface

the last easy step is to flash-program it into your vehicle

Many of your custom tuning questions involving DiabloSport products may already be answered in the FAQ section of our website.

And here is the setup needed to make custom tunes with Diablosprt software.

diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=8[/url]

DiabloSport CMR Custom Tuning Software for Ford and GM applications. CMR features a user friendly Windows based system to professionally calibrate gasoline powered vehicles for virtually any application, including simple basic modifications to all out forced induction power adders.

DiabloSport CMR can be utilized to program DiabloSport Predator hand held flash programmers, or our D3 DeltaChip Module. With CMR you may take advantage of all the great features available to you from either our Predator Flash Programmer, or DeltaChip D3 Chip technologies.

DiabloSport CMR Dealers will instantly see their chassis dyno become a genuine profit center, by focusing upon promoting DiabloSport CMR customized performance calibrations for all Ford and GM applications, including simple basic modifications to all out forced induction power adders. CMR Dealers have product coverage for all Ford and GM gas powered vehicles all the time!

Features:

Capable of switching between two tunes "on-the-fly"

Never before seen feature of allowing the chip to be turned completely off

Many possibilites such as Nitrous Oxide, Performance/Towing combinations, etc.

Optional LED switch that indicates the state of the chip by changing color.

Ideal for nitrous, race fuel, street and strip

Sleek design installs inside the computer

Product Line
CMR100 89-'08 Ford Gas Applications (Includes D3 Chip Burner, & U7777)
CMR200 99-'08 GM Gas Applications
CMR300 03-'08 MOPAR (Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge)
CMR400 Choose 2 CMR software families (Ford, Chevy, or Dodge)
CMR500 All DiabloSport CMR Families
R1000 DiabloSport D3 CMR tuning Chip
R1010 Standard Toggle Switch and Cable Assembly
R1020 LED Switch and Cable Assemble
R1030 Key Type Kill Switch and Cable Assembly
R2000 DiabloSport D3 CMR Chip burner

Last edited by highoctane; 06-22-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I finally pulled the trigger on a tuner and went with the Diablo Predator. I plan on getting the Ripp long tube headers tomorrow and the guys over there were saying there's absolutely zero comparison between diablo and superchips. Superchips are all canned tunes as opposed to the diablo which has both canned as well as the ability to remap the entire ecu. It seems pretty sick and I got it for $300 shipped. Ill put a video up when I get it!
On this jeep a header that moves power around is a major mod and in most cases be the only power adder end users will need...

RIPP will be launching a Gen 2 kit later this year - it will include a Diablo Sport Tuner pre-programmed with Supercharger mapping... We will also be offering a Diablo tuner as a NA feature that's pre-tuned with Header tunes - we would offer it now but Preditors are on a 2-4week back order - coming soon... more later

The predator is not essential - however to get the most out of the install you would.... consider it. Since there is a good part of you that have a clear understanding of tuning and another half that doesn't we would like to sum it up shortly... All Vett, Mustang and Mopar guys run this added tuning mod... its part of the equation and now JK guys have the opportunity also... this is not a bad thing, this is a good thing. The Diablo does everything a Superchips Flaspaq does plus its end user tunable ... thats 1000 times better....

Long tube headers not only move air faster, they also scavenge heat away from the heads and increasing cylinder head flow... That part is in the header design (length, bends and collector)... The other part is the cats - we remove two (of four) unmonitored cats and replaced them with two high flow "turbo" cats designed to take the heat and flow. The factory O2's pick this up and interpret the added heat and flow as 1) a bad cat or 2) running lean and makes real time adjustments. This is some cases can throw a Check engine light (CEL) and in most cases the ECU will either turn it off or cycle it adjust and shut it off. A Diablo Tuner is a full window into the ECU – you add a tuner to correct the O2 scaling and maximize the mod... In our opinon (and most will agree) and Air filter, Long Tube Headers and a cat back exhaust are essential mods for a JK with off road equippment and tuning it all it maximizes your investment...

RIPP has been working with Diablo since November of 09 for a viable tuning solution to replace the Black Box and tune the newly released header... the BLACK Box has done everything we asked of it – and we toot our own horn for Getting JK’s to run on a Piggy Back as well as they do – but as we’ve previously discussed with educated forum members it will have its limits… the window we opened to tune with is only so big (or small) and we can’t fully explore the potential of our Supercharger kits with a Black Box – and header (especially when combined)…. We’re NOT saying client running current kits NEED to remove anything or worry – but the natural progression into re-flashing is the upgrade… WE WILL HAVE A MORE Formal post on this topic once all our contracts are in place – product testing is done… now it’s the hard part…

Our goals are simple – exploit the full potential we know the 3.8 has with a power package… Starting with a tuner, headers and supercharger, we think the JK can get as good as stock reliability, we’ve proven for the most part fuel mileage can be increased and we’ve changed torque dynamics with headers… combined they do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG0_8VtMa4 This is a Gen1 RIPP Supercharger with the upcoming front mount intercooler kit and headers, tuned through a Diablo Sport Predator.. As you can see we've got a good chunk of power moving through 37's and an auto wit 5:38 gearing... Imagine what this would be like on a 6speed or a stock tire rig...

Questions welcome...
RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: Diablo Predator Tuner