Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Detroit tru trac question

Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit tru trac question

While geting my gears swaped to 5:13's the guy called me and mentioned that he would install Detroit tru tracs while the diffs were open at a price that I couldn't turn down..... Of course I gave him the go ahead and never looked back. My question, an I'm a little embarresed , my jk has only seen yet more mods and been resting in a garage, no offroad, since the gear swap with the tru trac installation. As I sat here thinking I should have just opted for lockers I'm also wondering if he nickel and dimed me then laughed as I drove off with no tru trac just a fatter bill. On road I observe no difference in the driveability which I've heard is normal, my question is..... How can I check if said parts were added as promised by this unsaid shop w/o me opening the diff, someone please chime in, me n thus guy may have another run in ; )
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinn407
While geting my gears swaped to 5:13's the guy called me and mentioned that he would install Detroit tru tracs while the diffs were open at a price that I couldn't turn down..... Of course I gave him the go ahead and never looked back. My question, an I'm a little embarresed , my jk has only seen yet more mods and been resting in a garage, no offroad, since the gear swap with the tru trac installation. As I sat here thinking I should have just opted for lockers I'm also wondering if he nickel and dimed me then laughed as I drove off with no tru trac just a fatter bill. On road I observe no difference in the driveability which I've heard is normal, my question is..... How can I check if said parts were added as promised by this unsaid shop w/o me opening the diff, someone please chime in, me n thus guy may have another run in ; )
With a tire off of the ground and the rig in gear or park, the tire off of the ground will not turn. For the front do the same but make sure you have the t-case in 4WD.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
With a tire off of the ground and the rig in gear or park, the tire off of the ground will not turn. For the front do the same but make sure you have the t-case in 4WD.
So if I understand correctly , I jack up one tire off the ground while in gear and try to spin it by hand... If i can't spin it I have tru trac?????

Last edited by Justinn407; 06-15-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Justinn407
So if I understand correctly , I jack up on tire off the ground while in gear and try to spin it by hand... If i can't spin it I have tru trac?????
Yes, that is correct but I've seen some clutch driven units that were pretty tight to turn. You can also jack both tires up and spin them. If one only turns it's open. If both turn one way it's a clutch driven LSD. If both turn but opposite directions, it's a Truetrac. Be sure you have the e-brake off.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Yes, that is correct but I've seen some clutch driven units that were pretty tight to turn. You can also jack both tires up and spin them. If one only turns it's open. If both turn one way it's a clutch driven LSD. If both turn but opposite directions, it's a Truetrac. Be sure you have the e-brake off.
Hmmm. When i jack up both front tires of my rig with a truetrac up front...they both turn the same direction It wasn't in gear or 4wd though...I know I have a truetrac for sure though because I bought it myself and dropped it off at the installer. Just curious about the rotation direction thing.

Last edited by Mad-Hatter; 06-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the fast Help... Tru trac it is! Had to clear my doubts.. Extreme rock rails and tw 1310 front goin in by the weekend and then I can go play a little. Thanx again...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You have an oil change coming up at 500 miles. Pop the covers, clean everything out, and take pics of them to verify what you have. (Make sure you got truetracs and not some other limiteds with clutches.)
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Mad-Hatter
Hmmm. When i jack up both front tires of my rig with a truetrac up front...they both turn the same direction It wasn't in gear or 4wd though...I know I have a truetrac for sure though because I bought it myself and dropped it off at the installer. Just curious about the rotation direction thing.
Truetracs will not turn the same direction with the ring gear locked.

Quick Reply: Detroit tru trac question