Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Detroit E-Locker.....Slack question?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit E-Locker.....Slack question?

I have about 500 miles on an Eaton E-Locker and just now noticed that when i start from a stop (sometimes) i feel a small amount of slack in the rear of my jeep as it starts to move. Other than that i never notice it and it runs great. I heard it is possibly normal with a locker and my drive shaft and ujoints appear fine.........Anyone else with this happening?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is some play in any differential, but if its severe enough that you notice it while driving I think there may be an issue. Pull the cover off the diff, check for any metal shavings or irregular gear wear. Also, check the righ gear and pinion gear for play.

Was the locker installed by you or a professional?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Yes 4-Wheel Parts installed it.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

It is fine when i drive except for a small amount of slack that is taken up just as i start from a stop and it does not happen all the time. I will take it in like i said before i heard it might be common with after market lockers........
Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with lockers from the aftermarket is limited, so i wouldnt rule that out completely. Take it to 4-wheel parts and just have them take a look at it. Its cheaper than the aternative.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A reg Detroit full auto locker, yes, it would have slop in the driveline. An e-locker shouldn't have this slack I would think.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
A reg Detroit full auto locker, yes, it would have slop in the driveline. An e-locker shouldn't have this slack I would think.
^ This is an accurate statement.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

I think i figured out the problem. I'm getting new tires next month and the aggressive mud tires i have now have a 1/3 or less tread left and no real grip on pavement. I just got my Superchip back from Superchip and they reprogramed it. I often start off in 1st gear even with my manual tranny so with the chip and other performance mods the jeep really takes off. My wife noticed my rear pass tire slip a slight bit when i step on the gas on slick pavement or dirt road which was causing the slip i felt. I wondered why it only occurred once in awhile and only when i start from stop so thanks for the comments.........

Quick Reply: Detroit E-Locker.....Slack question?