Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Determining Bump Stop Landing Pad Length

Old 03-06-2020, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

So you are using this forum to push business to you and extreme terrain. You should have a vendor account.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (03-06-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

A simple way to determine this. With the vehicle sitting at normal ride height (sitting on its tires) measure the free shock length on the shock rod. Then measure the diistance from the top of the lower bump stop to the bottom edge of the upper upper bump cup on the frame. (Don't measure just to the rubber bump stop cushion, that will compress nearly flat under pressure.) If the distance between the bump stops is less than the free length of the shock rod you're cool, if it's more, then you need to add bump stop. As metioned, it's good to have a bit of extra on the shock travel to prevent bottoming out.

This doesn't tell you anything about tiire to body clearance under full compression. You pretty much have to one way or another figure out if you'll clear by stuffing the tires on a rock, use a forflift, etc.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
A simple way to determine this. With the vehicle sitting at normal ride height (sitting on its tires) measure the free shock length on the shock rod. Then measure the diistance from the top of the lower bump stop to the bottom edge of the upper upper bump cup on the frame. (Don't measure just to the rubber bump stop cushion, that will compress nearly flat under pressure.) If the distance between the bump stops is less than the free length of the shock rod you're cool, if it's more, then you need to add bump stop. As metioned, it's good to have a bit of extra on the shock travel to prevent bottoming out.

This doesn't tell you anything about tiire to body clearance under full compression. You pretty much have to one way or another figure out if you'll clear by stuffing the tires on a rock, use a forflift, etc.
Thank you for the additional information.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
So you are using this forum to push business to you and extreme terrain. You should have a vendor account.
Incorrect. I am an active member on this forum so I can increase my knowledge regarding my Jeep and help others as I can, but I have only been a Jeep owner for a little over a year. The forum as a location dedicated for members to share their videos. I have shared my riding videos and product videos. I don’t have any ecommerce shopping cart nor sell anything from my site. Mentioning a source of purchase in a video is common, people can shop where they prefer.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You list a website in your sig that pushes products and sells advertising, no?
Old 03-10-2020, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I understand you are new. Your questions are easily answered using the search function.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

You list a website in your sig that pushes products and sells advertising, no?
Yes I have sold advertising before, do you see me pushing people on this forum to my web site? I can remove the link in my sig if it capps your butt that bad.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

I understand you are new. Your questions are easily answered using the search function.
Let's have a community forum but don't post any questions, kind of sounds counterintuitive. Starting a new thread helps cultivate someone else's new idea, opinion, or experience that can be shared and be relevant instead of being buried into years of older threads. Not going to entertain this discussion any further, this will be my final reply or comment on this matter.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

What chaps my ass is someone that does no know what they are doing presenting themselves as some kind of expert or professional in the business to get clicks on a website so they can get payments, sell advertising, or get free stuff. Giving poor or incomplete info to those even dumber (uneducated) the the site holder. You want to come on here and get free advise and information (that is very basic and is already been done 100 times in treads that can be found by simply searching) and use our knowledge for your benefit. I don't know if you basic questions are to really gain knowledge or to boost your post count so people can see the links in your sig so you can get clicks.

If the mods here don't care that fine, maybe I will put the link to my business in my sig and start getting free advertising.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If the mods here don't care that fine, maybe I will put the link to my business in my sig and start getting free advertising.
I wouldn't mind checking it out. My brother is moving to Carson City and talking about overland adventures. If we venture around your area of Reno it'd be nice to check out your shop.

Quick Reply: Determining Bump Stop Landing Pad Length