Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Destroyed Ball Joints..Need Guidance

Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaharaJosh
Hey thanks. I mentioned the TSB in the initial comment when I started this thread, but it kind of got off track, so I tried to pull it back. Hopefully someone will offer some help with the TSB.
All other, thanks for the comments. I have purchased the teraflex SS, and I will look into the "C" knuckle gussets. Thanks everyone. It is in the service center right now. I think I fould one that would cooperate. It took a little sweet talking, it was a lady at the counter of course.
Awesome, let us know if they advise you on a TSB or not. Also, before installing any of my SS's when I owned a TJ, I would always balance, align, tq everything to spec as fas as drag link, upper and lower arms, trac bar, ect... Then I would set toe-in properly. At that point I'd test it by going down the road over some moderate pot holes, on the highway, and lastly on a simple little trail. If I recieved hardly any negative feedback from my steering, or a shimy, ect... I would re-check all bolts/bushings. If I got great steering response back, which was typical. I would at that point install the SS. SS's typically mask a problem waiting to happen. Thus the reason I always ran tests prior to installing the SS. Sorry to go off thread topic but I figured this would help you with your SS you just purchased.
Back on topic.
I'm really hoping someone finds this mysterious TSB on ball joints.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint

I've never heard of ball joints failing from that small of a lift kit... in that small amount of time. There have been ball joint problems in Jeeps since cavemen, from the Liberty, to Wrangler, to (as Extreme 4x4 says) Glorified station wagons **Cough** Cherokee **Cough Cough**

Your suspensions geometry with a 2.5" spacer kit is still within stock limits. I wish I still worked at the dealer, I'd search and post a TSB # if there is one. Good luck, hope that other dealer you found comes through man! Sounds like that first place just wanted to get out from under that would have been warranty work.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OlegFl
I've seen quadratec sell some... I don't know if they are any better than the stock ones though.... any have any info?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56100_0002.htm
46.99 and no grease fitting. By Googling the mfg part number Quadratec lists it looks to be the mfg as the stock. Meaning it will last just about as long.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked mine. Both sides top and bottom are loose. I have a RC 2 1/2 lift with 285/75/16's on 16 x8 with 4.5 bs. 28,000 miles. I know a tech at the local stealership. I am going to check with him first and see if they will cover it. If not I'll do it myself.

Quick Reply: Destroyed Ball Joints..Need Guidance