Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Destroyed Ball Joints..Need Guidance

Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't think a lift will effect the ball joints on a solid axle. Wheel spacers might, because of the increased leverage on the joints.
A TSB is provided to the dealer techs to aid in troubleshooting or to bring his attention to a certain condition. TSBs usually say the repair is covered under the provisions of the warranty, which means if the warranty is expired or they decide the condition is not covered, you are out of luck. A recall would be free, though.
Ditto, wheel spacers will make th BJs were out way faster and wheel bearings also
Old 01-14-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I haven't looked real close, but how much work would it take to replace the ball joints yourself?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nangulator
wheel spacers will make th BJs were out way faster and wheel bearings also
that makes sense, but why would aftermarket wheels not do this too since they can move the weight of the tires/wheels out just as far as the spacers?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK I have to ask as this has me concerned. With my 2 1/2" rough country lift and no wheel spacers, what is my likely hood of having this issue? If i add spacers is it very likely? Sounds like this is a common problem?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

So far, the suggestions for what caused it are great, but could they cause it in just 1500 miles?
My initial intent of this thread was to see if anyone had any solid info on whether or not it is covered by the warranty, or am I at the will of the individual service centers?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

It's going to depend greatly on the service center. Note the previous comment regarding warranty service on a lifted JK w/ 35's. I would keep trying dealers until you find one that will work with you.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont think your lift or wheel spacers are putting as much stress on your BJs' as your wheels are. Think about it, wheel spacers or offset rims will put extra stress on your wheel bearings and axle. Your tires probably were the cause. 35's are large and heavy. If you have balance issues, or even minor bump steer going on, that will constantly work those BJs'. Is your stabilizer on the front axle in good shape? This component does ease the wear on the BJs' and steering gear in general. Rough Country just came out with a dual front stabilizer which I have ordered. The 35s' go on in two weeks and it will help save the front end immensly.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also have symptoms of "bad ball joints". This may be a result of excesssive force on the outer knuckles. Check out the March 2009 Four Wheeler mag. It discusses soulutions/ preventative gusset installation to reinforce the "C's" preventing axletube bending.
Off Road Evo has gussets, and BOR has axletube sleeves/gussets.

http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...cts.php?cat=25

This may not be your problem, but it's worth a look at.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaharaJosh
So far, the suggestions for what caused it are great, but could they cause it in just 1500 miles?
My initial intent of this thread was to see if anyone had any solid info on whether or not it is covered by the warranty, or am I at the will of the individual service centers?
I agree with you. I see someone in this thread stated there is a TSB out there. If anyone knows of said TSB it will be WOL. I just sent him a PM and attached this thread in the PM. I'll wait to hear his response.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J. Dub
I agree with you. I see someone in this thread stated there is a TSB out there. If anyone knows of said TSB it will be WOL. I just sent him a PM and attached this thread in the PM. I'll wait to hear his response.
Hey thanks. I mentioned the TSB in the initial comment when I started this thread, but it kind of got off track, so I tried to pull it back. Hopefully someone will offer some help with the TSB.
All other, thanks for the comments. I have purchased the teraflex SS, and I will look into the "C" knuckle gussets. Thanks everyone. It is in the service center right now. I think I fould one that would cooperate. It took a little sweet talking, it was a lady at the counter of course.

Quick Reply: Destroyed Ball Joints..Need Guidance