Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Destroyed Ball Joints..Need Guidance

Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed Ball Joints..Need Guidance

I have recently discovered that my front ball joints are unservicable, and in need of replacement. I called a local Jeep dealership, and without even looking at the Jeep, they told me that since it was lifted, they might not be covered under warranty. I have just over 11000 miles on the jeep, but have only had the 2.5 BB on for about 1500 miles.
Before I go into the dealership and choke the service manager, I am trying to educate myself as much as possible on the situation. I called Chrysler and opened a case and reported my issues, they really weren't any help at all. I tried to see if there was a TSB on this issue, since it happens so frequently, but they couldn't provide it.
Does anyone have a copy of a TSB for the ball joints?
Can anyone offer any real assistance with this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

there have been several threads about this...most people complain that chryster does nothing. im just waiting for the aftermarket to make some....soon
Old 01-14-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, again? Another thread? This makes me NOT want to lift my jeep at all until we get aftermarket beefier ball joints.

I wonder if the Rubicon with the Dana 44 front and rear have a beefier ball joint compared to the x and sahara models? Anyone know?

Last edited by J. Dub; 01-14-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaJosh
I have recently discovered that my front ball joints are unservicable, and in need of replacement. I called a local Jeep dealership, and without even looking at the Jeep, they told me that since it was lifted, they might not be covered under warranty. I have just over 11000 miles on the jeep, but have only had the 2.5 BB on for about 1500 miles.
Before I go into the dealership and choke the service manager, I am trying to educate myself as much as possible on the situation. I called Chrysler and opened a case and reported my issues, they really weren't any help at all. I tried to see if there was a TSB on this issue, since it happens so frequently, but they couldn't provide it.
Does anyone have a copy of a TSB for the ball joints?
Can anyone offer any real assistance with this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Do you still have your stock stuff? Lower it back down and go to another dealer. I'm about 2 hours away and I think I have everything if you wanted to make the trip. I could prob help you do it too.

Let me know
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJosh
Do you still have your stock stuff? Lower it back down and go to another dealer. I'm about 2 hours away and I think I have everything if you wanted to make the trip. I could prob help you do it too.

Let me know
Don't have the stock stuff. I just got off the phone with another dealer, they seemed like they were gonna be cool about it, we will see tomorrow. Thanks for the invite though, I appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Dang, again? Another thread? This makes me NOT want to lift my jeep at all until we get aftermarket beefier ball joints.

I wonder if the Rubicon with the Dana 44 front and rear have a beefier ball joint compared to the x and sahara models? Anyone know?
I don't think it happened because of the lift, I have only had it on for about 1500 miles.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaharaJosh
I don't think it happened because of the lift, I have only had it on for about 1500 miles.
wow, that is rediculous. TSB needs to be done on that.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J. Dub
wow, that is rediculous. TSB needs to be done on that.
I have heard that there is a TSB on it, so I called Chrysler directly and they wouldn't give me one, and told me that the dealer could provide it. I tried to explain to them that the dealer basically doesn't want to cover it under warranty, so he's not gonna look for crap. They seem to believe that the lift kit caused it, how a lift kit affects a joint in the axle, I'll never know...
Old 01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dealer coverd mine with a lift and 35s
Old 01-14-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't think a lift will effect the ball joints on a solid axle. Wheel spacers might, because of the increased leverage on the joints.
A TSB is provided to the dealer techs to aid in troubleshooting or to bring his attention to a certain condition. TSBs usually say the repair is covered under the provisions of the warranty, which means if the warranty is expired or they decide the condition is not covered, you are out of luck. A recall would be free, though.

Quick Reply: Destroyed Ball Joints..Need Guidance