Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Delayed throttle response

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default engine lag

I noticed the lag more with automatics, particarly when doing a rolling turn and trying to accelerate on the new road... real delay in response. I drove several automatics when I was looking to buy a JK. I stuck with the MT6 because I feel like I can shift around the lag. But the six still has a labored feel at low RPM, as if the Gerbels are trying to get in sync on the wheel or something.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc_D
No, the superchips tune does not help with the lag that you sometimes feel between shifts. It does improve throttle sensativity. But I believe the issue with the hesitation that is felt around 2,000 RPM, especially for 6 speed owners after a shift, is related to the ECU severely retarding the ignition timing for some reason.
Incorrect....Yes Superchips does remove the LAG completely and it a FREE update! So now I get everything the Sprint booster does AND all the other goodies the Superships Flashpak does too!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by whpony96
Incorrect....Yes Superchips does remove the LAG completely and it a FREE update! So now I get everything the Sprint booster does AND all the other goodies the Superships Flashpak does too!

I think we're talking about 2 different things here. The flashpaq (which I've owned for a very long time now and am very happy with) does improve throttle response. But there is a definate hesitation around 2,000 RPM when going from off-throttle to on-throttle that I believe has nothing to do with the electronic throttle. That hesitation was there before the flashpaq (i.e. stock) and after. There have been a lot of threads about this hesitation, mostly from 6 speed owners.

The hesitation does not happen 100% of the time, and I notice I get it a lot more when it's hot outside. I've been watching several engine parameters and when it occurs it looks like there is a large reduction in timing advance (like 20 degrees).

If you have an auto you may not notice the problem that I'm talking about. Also I wonder if Chrylser ever addressed this in later models. So if you don't have the dreaded 2K RPM hesitation it may be because chrysler made a change at some point.

Maybe I'll start a poll so we can figure out who experiences it and who doesn't.

Last edited by Doc_D; 07-19-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is being described sounds a lot like the PCM torque management. Basically putting a pillow between the hammer of lower end torque by retarding timing to lessen wear and tear on driveline components.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 09 MT6 with 5k miles on it and I am having the same problem. MIne will come to a complete stop at times and then take off. (mainly in an off road sit with heavy torque). Also any one else having a problem with the engine not reving down between shifts? I have tried to change shift points etc.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
What is being described sounds a lot like the PCM torque management. Basically putting a pillow between the hammer of lower end torque by retarding timing to lessen wear and tear on driveline components.

Good call JPop! I've also been wondering if it's torque management. I know this is a very popular scheme lately with manufacturers. I heard the new Camaros are picking up something like 1 second in the quarter mile when the tuner removes the torque management.

That would definately explain the serious reduction in ignition timing with no corresponding knock event.

I wonder if this is something Superchips could possibly remove.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D
Good call JPop! I've also been wondering if it's torque management. I know this is a very popular scheme lately with manufacturers. I heard the new Camaros are picking up something like 1 second in the quarter mile when the tuner removes the torque management.

That would definately explain the serious reduction in ignition timing with no corresponding knock event.

I wonder if this is something Superchips could possibly remove.
Sorry to revive an old thread but have you heard anything back Doc_D? Mine has been doing this same thing forever and, of course, the tech guys play dumb when I bring it in.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Locklain
Sorry to revive an old thread but have you heard anything back Doc_D? Mine has been doing this same thing forever and, of course, the tech guys play dumb when I bring it in.
I see you have a Superchips, and I know Scott from SC was looking for some automatic transmission owners to get feedback on their auto transmission package for the Flashpaq. I think the upgrade is normally $40 and he's potentially looking for a handful of candidates to use it and share their experiences on this forum.

Here's the post that references it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...39#post1833239
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was all interested in Sprint Booster until I looked up the price. Seems very steep for only doing a small thing..
Old 09-08-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

One of the early questions in this thread was about years affected. My '10 doesn't do this stuff.

Quick Reply: Delayed throttle response