Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Delayed throttle response

Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the Suprchips 87 octane tune and moderate pedal and have a nice responsive pedal.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07rubigreen
Where is this setting located in the SuperChips programmer? Did it come out recently?
You will find it when you use the advanced tuning rather than a quick tune.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc_D
Many 6 speed owners have this problem. I suspect the auto might suffer it too but it's not nearly as noticeable because you're not constantly tipping into the throttle after shifts like you do on the manual.

It happens between about 1,700 and 2,200 RPM. That stinks because that's where you usually end up right after a shift.

I'm convinced it's not the electronic throttle and the Superchips does not resolve the problem. When you experience the hesitation you can hear the engine noise increase (which wouldn't happen if the throttle was lagging). It hesitates for about a second and then takes off.

For some reason it doesn't always hesitate and I notice it much more in hot weather.

I started data logging with my flashpaq to see if I could figure out what causes it. I noticed when it occurs the spark advance drops super low. In fact it goes negative (retarded timing). You see the timing go to something like -3.0 degrees and then finally shoot back up to 20 - 30 degrees. The increase back to 20 - 30 degrees of advance coincides with where the hesitation ends and the jeep takes off.

So then I thought maybe it was a knock event causing the computer to pull so much timing. So I started watching the knock sensors. I didn't see anything abnormal there, so I don't think it's a knock event causing the huge reduction in timing.

I sent Scott from Superchip an email about this. I'm hoping their engineers can look at it next time they have a JK on the dyno.

I've heard tons of 6 speed owners complain about this. So if you're one of them who experiences it please chime in. Specifically I'm interested to find out if it's just the 2007 and 2008 owners that have this issue or if people with newer jeeps are still experiencing it. I'm wondering if Chrylser at some point fixed this and maybe a reflash from the dealer will resolve it.

Yes I have this problem exactly. I hear the rev and everything but nothing happens. It makes me want to bash my head into the windshield.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

so superchips released an update that will help with the delay? can some give me instruction on how to get to that setting.......please
Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jchmelojk
so superchips released an update that will help with the delay? can some give me instruction on how to get to that setting.......please

No, the superchips tune does not help with the lag that you sometimes feel between shifts. It does improve throttle sensativity. But I believe the issue with the hesitation that is felt around 2,000 RPM, especially for 6 speed owners after a shift, is related to the ECU severely retarding the ignition timing for some reason.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

well this is interesting and where im about to go with this is gonna throw a new twist into everything - i just started noticing this in the last 2 weeks

i have an 08 rubi AUTOMATIC and i drive around in 2nd around town and i have noticed when slowing down for turns or more so at stop lights going into turns throttle on it shifts from 1st to second and without throttle change on my part after second engages it lags for a sec then instantly jumps a bit on the rpm and starts going again almost exactly like what you are describing with shifts on the 6 speeds - i have only noticed this about 3 times so for but its something im really looking for now

and this does not seem like gear changes or slippage or anything of that sort the trans feels like it is functioning perfect it shifts from first and it feels like the paks and everything are fully engaged - maybe its timing maybe its stupid computer junk and it is probably something completely diff as this is the auto but it sounds very similar

maybe im just off and this is how this thing works but i just started noticing it after 2 years and 25000 miles

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoped
well this is interesting and where im about to go with this is gonna throw a new twist into everything - i just started noticing this in the last 2 weeks

i have an 08 rubi AUTOMATIC and i drive around in 2nd around town and i have noticed when slowing down for turns or more so at stop lights going into turns throttle on it shifts from 1st to second and without throttle change on my part after second engages it lags for a sec then instantly jumps a bit on the rpm and starts going again almost exactly like what you are describing with shifts on the 6 speeds - i have only noticed this about 3 times so for but its something im really looking for now

and this does not seem like gear changes or slippage or anything of that sort the trans feels like it is functioning perfect it shifts from first and it feels like the paks and everything are fully engaged - maybe its timing maybe its stupid computer junk and it is probably something completely diff as this is the auto but it sounds very similar

maybe im just off and this is how this thing works but i just started noticing it after 2 years and 25000 miles

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I suspect it's the same thing in the auto. It's probably just a lot less noticeable in the auto because it's not very often you're going from being off the throttle to 40% into the throttle at 2,000 RPM. Obviously with a manual we end up doing that after nearly every shift so we are much more likley to feel it. Also I suspect the torque converted masks the feeling of the hesitation to some degree.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

i agree - good post this definitely gave me some ideas on what was going on
Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do you like the ripp headers?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's too soon to tell. I dig em but they are loud as fuck and ricey. I just ordered the DDR mbrp muffler to straighten that out and I'll report back. Also I'm doing a custom DIABLO sport tune in a few weeks so THEN I'll tell you what I really think about em. They are nice but not worth 1300 bucks or whatever the hell I paid for them.

Quick Reply: Delayed throttle response