Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Delayed throttle response

Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delayed throttle response

Yo guys, so I'm running a trueflow xdi cai, a magnaflow catback, and just got ripp headers in. A few months ago i noticed when I ram down the pedal there's a super delayed throttle response. I can hear the throttle that I pushed down but it doesn't really give me power...what's up with that?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Arcticanalog
Yo guys, so I'm running a trueflow xdi cai, a magnaflow catback, and just got ripp headers in. A few months ago i noticed when I ram down the pedal there's a super delayed throttle response. I can hear the throttle that I pushed down but it doesn't really give me power...what's up with that?
That is drive by wire. Not like the old cable linkage. I am getting a product called a sprint booster. It is suppose to take out the delay. Won the best new product at the sema show. Will report when it is installed.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by viking
That is drive by wire. Not like the old cable linkage. I am getting a product called a sprint booster. It is suppose to take out the delay. Won the best new product at the sema show. Will report when it is installed.
That or you can try a Superchips, it helps with throttle response as well.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't run superchips on long tube headers. Got a diablo sport tuner though and I'll be running the custom ecu tuning soon so we'll see how that runs. I'm sure itll be sick and I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

the joy of electronic throttle control - horrible idea for most cars a super failtaculer idea on a offroad/expedition vehicle - no easy shoe lace fixes if that sensor goes you get f$&@#$
and it just sucks on response or neutral idle hold
Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SPRINTBOOSTER

it is lit bit pricey , but really does the job

I can't drive my jeep witout it

yes , superchips helps with throttle responce but not as much as sprintbooster

it is waaay difference in responce than stock and it will make your daily drive more fun and easier
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shj_jeep
SPRINTBOOSTER

it is lit bit pricey , but really does the job

I can't drive my jeep witout it

yes , superchips helps with throttle responce but not as much as sprintbooster

it is waaay difference in responce than stock and it will make your daily drive more fun and easier
Do you have the updated software that superchips has where you can adjust the sensitivity of the pedal? I do on mine and I noticed a big difference, but was just wondering if the sprint booster will improve on that a little further?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 0llll0
Do you have the updated software that superchips has where you can adjust the sensitivity of the pedal? I do on mine and I noticed a big difference, but was just wondering if the sprint booster will improve on that a little further?
No, I didn't update my superchips yet, but i am sure u will feel the difference in responce with sprintbooster
you will fell that your jeep has more power
Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 0llll0
Where is this setting located in the SuperChips programmer? Did it come out recently?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Many 6 speed owners have this problem. I suspect the auto might suffer it too but it's not nearly as noticeable because you're not constantly tipping into the throttle after shifts like you do on the manual.

It happens between about 1,700 and 2,200 RPM. That stinks because that's where you usually end up right after a shift.

I'm convinced it's not the electronic throttle and the Superchips does not resolve the problem. When you experience the hesitation you can hear the engine noise increase (which wouldn't happen if the throttle was lagging). It hesitates for about a second and then takes off.

For some reason it doesn't always hesitate and I notice it much more in hot weather.

I started data logging with my flashpaq to see if I could figure out what causes it. I noticed when it occurs the spark advance drops super low. In fact it goes negative (retarded timing). You see the timing go to something like -3.0 degrees and then finally shoot back up to 20 - 30 degrees. The increase back to 20 - 30 degrees of advance coincides with where the hesitation ends and the jeep takes off.

So then I thought maybe it was a knock event causing the computer to pull so much timing. So I started watching the knock sensors. I didn't see anything abnormal there, so I don't think it's a knock event causing the huge reduction in timing.

I sent Scott from Superchip an email about this. I'm hoping their engineers can look at it next time they have a JK on the dyno.

I've heard tons of 6 speed owners complain about this. So if you're one of them who experiences it please chime in. Specifically I'm interested to find out if it's just the 2007 and 2008 owners that have this issue or if people with newer jeeps are still experiencing it. I'm wondering if Chrylser at some point fixed this and maybe a reflash from the dealer will resolve it.

Quick Reply: Delayed throttle response