Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Deisel Swap

Old 04-16-2016, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deisel Swap

So the lovely ticking from my motor was diagnosed as a broken piston skirt. I see this as the perfect time to do the diesel swap ive always wanted. My only debate right now is whether to go with a manual or automatic transmission behind the 6bt. My jku is a manual right now and i love it, but how does a manual diesel drive? Is it different than a conventional gasser? Is there anything special i should know? I know new autos hold up a lot better than in the past, but do they hold up as well as a manual? The manual would be an nv4500 and im not 100% on the auto available (im just blanking right now). Thanks for any input!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

good luck fitting a 6bt
Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reidsjk
So the lovely ticking from my motor was diagnosed as a broken piston skirt. I see this as the perfect time to do the diesel swap ive always wanted. My only debate right now is whether to go with a manual or automatic transmission behind the 6bt. My jku is a manual right now and i love it, but how does a manual diesel drive? Is it different than a conventional gasser? Is there anything special i should know? I know new autos hold up a lot better than in the past, but do they hold up as well as a manual? The manual would be an nv4500 and im not 100% on the auto available (im just blanking right now). Thanks for any input!
While I have not driven a diesel manual jeep, I have driven a number of diesel manual cars in Europe. Driving on mountain roads and switchbacks was awesome. A lot of torque and great mileage. My wife's SUV has a diesel (auto) which I really like. I would love to have it in my manual Jeep.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kyle521
good luck fitting a 6bt
river raider installs them and has nothing but good things to say about it
Old 04-16-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kyle521
good luck fitting a 6bt
It's possible, and already been done (YouTube project rattle trap). Just takes some hellacious fab work and very deep pockets. lol
Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flex_Junkie
It's possible, and already been done (YouTube project rattle trap). Just takes some hellacious fab work and very deep pockets. lol
$27k installed, same price and a big v8 swap, ive always been a diesel guy so this swap interests me a lot more than a v8. Also cheaper than a 4bt swap by bruiser
Old 04-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

$27k installed, same price and a big v8 swap, ive always been a diesel guy so this swap interests me a lot more than a v8. Also cheaper than a 4bt swap by bruiser
Hrm... that's $7K more than I paid for my V8 swap. Diesels are cool ( our 1-ton has one and wouldn't own anything different). What I've noticed about the diesel swaps on JKs is that they need at least 4" of lift because of the height of the 4bt. Because of that, the 4" of clearance you gain is negated by the engine extending below the frame so much.

They do sound awesome and get huge torque.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Hrm... that's $7K more than I paid for my V8 swap. Diesels are cool ( our 1-ton has one and wouldn't own anything different). What I've noticed about the diesel swaps on JKs is that they need at least 4" of lift because of the height of the 4bt. Because of that, the 4" of clearance you gain is negated by the engine extending below the frame so much. They do sound awesome and get huge torque.
okay im not trying to be a dick but this post was not about whether to get a diesel or its price, i have the money, and this is what I want to do. The question was about manual vs. automatic and how they differ in gassers vs. diesels
Old 04-16-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

okay im not trying to be a dick but this post was not about whether to get a diesel or its price, i have the money, and this is what I want to do. The question was about manual vs. automatic and how they differ in gassers vs. diesels
and yet you are. You're the one who brought the price up, so perhaps you should've stayed on topic.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
and yet you are. You're the one who brought the price up, so perhaps you should've stayed on topic.
someone else brought up the need for deep pockets, i was asking for help on an issue, and was hoping people would have something to offer on that issue

Quick Reply: Deisel Swap