Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Decision time on tires, DuraTracs or BFG Mud TA/KM 2's

Old 05-03-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEADRABBIT31
I'm joining the club this week and I'd like some feedback on 35's for my 13 Rubi two door. It's my only vehicle and I do about 18,000 of driving a year so what everyone's opinion on either one of these DuraTracs 315/70/17 vs BFG's 35 x 12.5 ,
Where do you live and what kind of wheeling do you or will you be doing?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
I've never had any problems with BFG MT in ANY driving conditions. Get more than enough snow and rain here. Not sure where the bad rap comes from Oh I forgot. If it's original equipment it must be crap Now if we talk about the Forterras that came on the Gargoylette's Grand Cherokee...They're crap
never said it's problematic. MTs don't provide the traction on snow or wet roads as an AT will. And, driving with sense helps. It's a physical fact that lack of siping hinders wet traction. And for my own experience, having run ATs and MTs, living in Colorado, pulling trailers, off roading, and whatever else you can think of you might do with a 4x4, it still remains a fact. Although, I am very aware, your canucktom seems to overrule any physics and knowledge, we'll just agree you know more.

To the OP, as others have said asked, it depends on your primary driving and compromise. A DD, occasional off road, little mud, ATs will do well. Primarily off road, soft gushy stuff, consider mud terrains. The trade offs are obvious. One will have a smoother on road ride, quieter, etc, at the compromise off road. The MTs, pretty much the opposite.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DEADRABBIT31
I'm joining the club this week and I'd like some feedback on 35's for my 13 Rubi two door. It's my only vehicle and I do about 18,000 of driving a year so what everyone's opinion on either one of these DuraTracs 315/70/17 vs BFG's 35 x 12.5 ,
My 315/70/70 Duratracs measure 33.75" in height. I had the Mud terrains prior to these and in deep snow -10C to -20C conditions I wasn't to impressed. Hwy and general road use was fine in all conditions but maybe that was part me by changing my driving habits to suit the road conditions. Road noise on both are fine. For where I live with harsh Winters I will stick with the Duratracs. I do like the look of the mud terrains though.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input so far ! I forgot to mention that I live in NY and never really had a problem with the stock Mud TA's . As a matter of fact I found that the more snow we had , the better they performed.... That being said they can be a bit sketchy in light snow and rain.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
never said it's problematic. MTs don't provide the traction on snow or wet roads as an AT will. And, driving with sense helps. It's a physical fact that lack of siping hinders wet traction. And for my own experience, having run ATs and MTs, living in Colorado, pulling trailers, off roading, and whatever else you can think of you might do with a 4x4, it still remains a fact. Although, I am very aware, your canucktom seems to overrule any physics and knowledge, we'll just agree you know more.

To the OP, as others have said asked, it depends on your primary driving and compromise. A DD, occasional off road, little mud, ATs will do well. Primarily off road, soft gushy stuff, consider mud terrains. The trade offs are obvious. One will have a smoother on road ride, quieter, etc, at the compromise off road. The MTs, pretty much the opposite.
In snow the mt are a very good tire. It's the rain slicked roads and icy roads that are the problems of the mt tire
Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12

I bow my head in shame for simply stating my own personal experience. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with 101gargoyles.
I live in Phoenix now, but prior I learned to drive and lived in Maritime Canada... 33 years worth.
Simple fact, mud terrain tires will not work as well as all terrains in dustings of snow, light snow, moderate depth snow (16" or less), hard packed snow, or ice. They also do not work as well in gravel, decomposed granite, wet pavement etc etc...
Folks who say different either don't know, have no relevant experience or slow down to the point that they become dangerous to folks traveling with proper equipment at a reasonable speed for the conditions.
I have no experience with the Duratracs, but would not choose to run KM2's in your neck of the woods for the white season.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I'm with 101gargoyles. I live in Phoenix now, but prior I learned to drive and lived in Maritime Canada... 33 years worth. Simple fact, mud terrain tires will not work as well as all terrains in dustings of snow, light snow, moderate depth snow (16" or less), hard packed snow, or ice. They also do not work as well in gravel, decomposed granite, wet pavement etc etc... Folks who say different either don't know, have no relevant experience or slow down to the point that they become dangerous to folks traveling with proper equipment at a reasonable speed for the conditions. I have no experience with the Duratracs, but would not choose to run KM2's in your neck of the woods for the white season.
I think you mean jeepstin? 101gargoyles actually said he likes the m/t for snow etc...

I'm on my 3rd set of km2’s and I wouldn't recommend them for lots of compact snow or icy conditions. I personally don't like the look of the duratracs and would never get them but I would look into a good A/T if I were you.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
I think you mean jeepstin? 101gargoyles actually said he likes the m/t for snow etc...
Thanks for that correction. Yes, Jeepstin.

Quick Reply: Decision time on tires, DuraTracs or BFG Mud TA/KM 2's