Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Where is the best place to locate the muffler
At original location in the back
4.76%
Under the body
95.24%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Debate:Pros & Cons of relocating the muffler

Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Debate:Pros & Cons of relocating the muffler

OK, I'm getting ready to order my new muffler that my local shop will weld on for me. But I have 2 questions I hope someone out there can answer:

1) Where is the best place to have the muffler located, at the original stock position or under the body? I would think both locations stand the risk of being damaged, depending on the type of terrain. Is one really safer than the other?

2) What is the maximum size muffler that will fit under the body and would I go with a centered in/out or offset on one or the other for the best fit?

The muffler I'm looking at is a Borla ProXS and it's 14" long, 9.5" wide, and 4" thick. It comes in a variety of in/out locations (offset or centered). This is only 1" longer than the Flowmaster 40 series muffler I hear a lot of people running under the body so I'm hopeful it will also fit there, provided that is actually the best location.

Let's start the debate.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the mbrp exhaust relocated under the driver side seat area... very out of the way location.. works and sounds great !
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

I'm leaning towards the under body location but now I need to know if a 9.5" wide muffler with center in and center out will fit or if the offset in and center out would be better.

Can someone that's done this install comment?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We too have the MBRP relocate setup..... as of now I havent come accross any cons
Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

your the best one to answer your own question. you know the deminsions so go out and measure. not to be a prick or anything but you said yourself that there are so many configurations to that muffler i doubt anyone has that one. most by a kit to do that.

i am going to go with a muffler and do it myself as well. i will be going with a small under the seat area muffler and just a down pipe by my evap. i would recomend that you weld all of the pipes to gether. clamps never work real well. good luck
Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

i have relocated mine under the left pass door (magna flow) center in center out. I made one initial error and that was I had it dump before the rear axle. This is a bad idea for two reasons and I had it fixed since then and extended out to the rear bumper. 1. exhaust WILL seep into the cab and this is dangerous! 2. not enough protection in water crossings to keep water from traveling back through the exhaust into the muffler. If you relocate make sure to run all the way back, other than that it is a great idea, and opens up the area under the rear for more options such as spare battery etc.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Exhaust

Originally Posted by blockrockin
i have the mbrp exhaust relocated under the driver side seat area... very out of the way location.. works and sounds great !
x2. MBRP Offroad exahust Call David at Northridge and he will be able to help you
Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
My wife has the Rancho system that under the body--she can't have the original stock location because of the rear EVO cantilever suspension setup.

I have a Cherry Bomb glasspack muffler underneath the body. It gave me more clearance in the back, & now I run he Woods deep/expanded storage box in the back. I had an exhaust shop do the Cherry Bomb install. The muffler was something like $30 or $40, & they charged me 1 hour labor to do the install.

No regrets on either choice.
How loud is that exhaust? Does it drone when cruising?

Thanks,

Flash

Quick Reply: Debate:Pros & Cons of relocating the muffler