Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Victim=ME!!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull down wayoflifes writeup here. He identifys all the torquing in the writeup. In case you cannot find I've summarized. I've only checked fo 1 month straight now )

Track bar bolts = 125ftlbs
Shock bolts - 56ftlbs
Lug nuts = 95ftlbs
Sway bar links = 75ftlbs

If auto then tighten the drive shaft bolts to 81ftlbs.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs down Lol

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Death Wobble? Are you guy's kidding me? Shimmy, shake, OK, but a death wobble? Pullease!

Death wobbles happen on some motorcycles at high speed, few escape without injury. It is caused sometimes by tire wheel combinations or poor maufacturer design on the front forks.

I realize that a bunch of babies like to make mountains out of molehills or appear as if they are special, but give me a break, please. Call it what it is a freaking loose front end, ignore the preliminary signs and it will only get worse. Short of a broken part these things get worse incrementaly so do your maintenance or be a proud partner of the dummy crowd.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing, bad shocks or shock.broken shock can allow a shimmy.
Death wobble?

BELIEVE IT!

The most awful driving experience I've ever had.
Scary as hell and not a thing I could do about it! Just staying on the raod was a major project and mostly just good luck I did. I was on a city street doing maybe 40mph and the Jeep just went nutzo! Bucked at all 4 wheels like it was trying like hell to throw me out. I'm not talking about shimmy. I'm saying good 4" jumping" hops at each wheel independantly of each other.
Steering wheel fighting me to turn back and forth at random, going left the right then HARDER right etc.
I'm 51 yo and have been in some harry shit and I was and am STILL am shocked that this could even happen on earth ever. It was hell.
Brakes wouldn't work due to computer "knew" things was forked up and it did't want to roll me.... Damned computers suck IMHO.
It finally slowed down to around 7 MPH and then stabilised.
Death wobble? PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? You can't talk about PLAYOFFS!

I experienced this death wobble on a new TF 3" lift. Maybe 1000 miles on it.
It wasn't a bad install or loose bolts or anything like that. It was the bushing.
It was made from wrong material that looked right. It's some kind of plastic.
TF warrentied the udjustable track bar instantly which was good.
Here's how you check for it BEFORE it happens.
You get down in front and stare at the connection points on the track bar.
Another person turns the steering wheel.
The tires should turn and the track bar should NOT MOVE AT ALL around bushings.
PERIOD.
Mine did move.
An entire 1/64 of inch maybe.
Thats .0156 of an inch.
I mean I wasn't sure it moved even.
That's all it takes.
Bushings wear out too.
So check 'em.

Death wobble is worse than a one night stand where you discover she is a he....

LOL
Really it totally sucks and I was going to suit the crap outa some one for trying to MURDER me or another on the road. No kidding! MURDER.
Death wobble is potentially just that. MURDER.
I'm not exagerating.

People that think it's just babies exagerating etc. need to get their heads out of their behinds and check their arrogance at the door to hell.
If there was ever a way to humble anyone, death wobble would do it.
Humble.
Very very humble.
Quietly wisper your prayer that neither you nor your most hated enemy ever has to experience death wobble...

Do CHECK your bushings folks! It aint fun but it sure beats finding out the hard way your suspension is ready to kill you and/or others on the road.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default Death Wobble

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X (4x4 w/ the S package) with 30k miles on it. I use it for strictly road driving. A month ago I experienced my first death wobble while driving down the highway at about 65 mph. I hit an uneven spot in the road, and the front end proceeded to shake violently until I brought the vehicle to almost a complete stop. It occurred several more times to myself and my wife as we were driving. I only happens when we are traveling 45+ mph, and hit a good size pothole, or other uneven spot in the road. I took it into my dealer and they replaced the damper, and did a full alignment and balanced and rotated the tires. Two days later.........same problem but worst in my opinion. I took it back to the dealer, and they stated it was the tires causing the problem. The mechanic stated they have had numerous people report a fix when they put new tires on, and that my specific tire (stock Goodyear Wrangler SR-A size P255/75R17) is known to be a bad tire. This makes no sense to me since the tires have at least 7500 miles left in the tread according to two mechanics.

My question to all of you is...has anybody had this problem and been able to fix the problem by replacing the tires? Also the dealer advised me that Chrysler will not pay for this. How is this so when clearly the tires are faulty?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

"Death wobble?

BELIEVE IT!

The most awful driving experience I've ever had.
Scary as hell and not a thing I could do about it! Just staying on the raod was a major project and mostly just good luck I did. I was on a city street doing maybe 40mph and the Jeep just went nutzo! Bucked at all 4 wheels like it was trying like hell to throw me out. I'm not talking about shimmy. I'm saying good 4" jumping" hops at each wheel independantly of each other.
Steering wheel fighting me to turn back and forth at random, going left the right then HARDER right etc.
I'm 51 yo and have been in some harry shit and I was and am STILL am shocked that this could even happen on earth ever. It was hell.
Brakes wouldn't work due to computer "knew" things was forked up and it did't want to roll me.... Damned computers suck IMHO.
It finally slowed down to around 7 MPH and then stabilised.
Death wobble? PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? You can't talk about PLAYOFFS!
"

GOOD LORD! I'm convinced. If that happened to me before I read about this, I would have pulled off the road ASAP and burned the thing to the ground for being possed by a Demon.

Am I right in thinking that there is no warning (ESP going on and off, a slight shimmy, pulling to one side, etc...)? Just going along fine and then Wham! you're all over the road?

Thanks, Duffy
Old 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffy
Am I right in thinking that there is no warning (ESP going on and off, a slight shimmy, pulling to one side, etc...)? Just going along fine and then Wham! you're all over the road?

Thanks, Duffy
yes, you will not have any warning at all. typically, DW will occur after hitting a bump in the road or going over something like rail road tracks. immediately after, you're jeep will start to shake so violently that it feels as if it tearing itself apart.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yes, you will not have any warning at all. typically, DW will occur after hitting a bump in the road or going over something like rail road tracks. immediately after, you're jeep will start to shake so violently that it feels as if it tearing itself apart.
Awesome! I live in N.E. and I'm pretty sure they use potholes to pave the roads with. I'm sure it's considered a "Feature".

Thanks for the quick answer.

Duffy out.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Reading this makes me a lil' weary of BBing mine due to the wife driving it daily. She'd disown me if a lift caused DW and she encountered it doing hiway speeds. I know it can happen stock, too... but you KNOW she'd blame it on lift/tires. I really don't want to put the wife and kids at any greater risk.

I've had this happen to me in a 32 Ford Roadster with my foot hard on the go pedal. It scared the living fudge outta me and I was only up to about 45mph. I would dread this happening at 60-70.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had death wobble once, and if you have it you would not be able to drive above a certain speed your arms if not body feels like it is piggy backing a jack hammer

mine was caused from frozen ice and snow frozen to the wheels 40kms per hour was tolerable till i could pull over and knock some ice out
at 80kms the jeeps actions were unpredictable and frightening.
mine was obviously cause by unbalance due to ice on the wheels to cure this i did a bunch of city driving to heat up the wheels and knocked the rest of it out
Old 01-25-2009, 05:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DeezUU
Reading this makes me a lil' weary of BBing mine due to the wife driving it daily. She'd disown me if a lift caused DW and she encountered it doing hiway speeds. I know it can happen stock, too... but you KNOW she'd blame it on lift/tires. I really don't want to put the wife and kids at any greater risk.

I've had this happen to me in a 32 Ford Roadster with my foot hard on the go pedal. It scared the living fudge outta me and I was only up to about 45mph. I would dread this happening at 60-70.
while there are exceptions to the rule, DW typically occurs at lower speeds. also, as you've noted, DW can occur on a stock vehicle regardless if it's a jeep or not. proper maintenance will help prevent this from occuring.

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
I had death wobble once, and if you have it you would not be able to drive above a certain speed your arms if not body feels like it is piggy backing a jack hammer

mine was caused from frozen ice and snow frozen to the wheels 40kms per hour was tolerable till i could pull over and knock some ice out
at 80kms the jeeps actions were unpredictable and frightening.
mine was obviously cause by unbalance due to ice on the wheels to cure this i did a bunch of city driving to heat up the wheels and knocked the rest of it out
you'll forgive me but your understanding of DW is not correct. what you experienced is a REALLY BAD SHIMMY caused by your wheels being severly out of balance due to the ice. DW is a powerful oscillating force and until it is triggered, you can drive at any speed and not feel a thing.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeezUU

If that is a photo of you in your avatar, death wobble is the least of your worries!

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Victim=ME!!