Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Victim=ME!!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Death Wobble? Are you guy's kidding me? Shimmy, shake, OK, but a death wobble? Pullease!

Death wobbles happen on some motorcycles at high speed, few escape without injury. It is caused sometimes by tire wheel combinations or poor maufacturer design on the front forks.

I realize that a bunch of babies like to make mountains out of molehills or appear as if they are special, but give me a break, please. Call it what it is a freaking loose front end, ignore the preliminary signs and it will only get worse. Short of a broken part these things get worse incrementaly so do your maintenance or be a proud partner of the dummy crowd.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing, bad shocks or shock.broken shock can allow a shimmy.
When the day comes that your crap works its way loose or you sling some tire weights and you find yourself losing control as your tires start to hop 6-8" off the ground at highway speed we'd love to hear back from you assuming you live through the experience. Still want to call it a shimmy? How about keeping it civil especially in areas where you have no personal experience.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Death Wobble? Are you guy's kidding me? Shimmy, shake, OK, but a death wobble? Pullease!

Death wobbles happen on some motorcycles at high speed, few escape without injury. It is caused sometimes by tire wheel combinations or poor maufacturer design on the front forks.

I realize that a bunch of babies like to make mountains out of molehills or appear as if they are special, but give me a break, please. Call it what it is a freaking loose front end, ignore the preliminary signs and it will only get worse. Short of a broken part these things get worse incrementaly so do your maintenance or be a proud partner of the dummy crowd.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing, bad shocks or shock.broken shock can allow a shimmy.

Perhaps you should move back to one of your other forums, such as 'crotchrocketsarecool' if you find our chatter so repulsive. I had a buddy driving in front of me when he had the 'death wobble' and we were only running about 50 at the time. He's an excellent driver, but still almost lost control as his Jeep went all over the road.

I know you have a lot of posts, but slamming someone for a question they have is really uncalled for. Just move on to another post if you don't like it. HBC
Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

As a 19 year Jeep veteran, and a 21 year motorcycle veteran and former roadracer, I think I am qualified to tell you that you are out of line and have no clue of which you speak. Death wobble is a term used to describe a certain suspension condition on a Jeep, just as it is on a motorcycle. Your refusal to acknowledge and attempt to discredit an established term is a sign of your ignorance.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Thanks for all the replys, but let's try to get back on topic.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
Yeah, but the actual topic has been hashed out pretty well in other threads...
Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar

Point taken. I just don't like seeing someone getting slammed for asking a question. Thanks for stepping in . HBC
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry you are having a problem but when the truck went crazy didn't the stability control come on? If it didn't then I would have the dealer take a look at it. The stability control should activate in situations like you mention. The Jeep shouldn't go all over the road but instead start slowing down as the system tries to regain control. My 2C's
Old 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MC22958
Sorry you are having a problem but when the truck went crazy didn't the stability control come on? If it didn't then I would have the dealer take a look at it. The stability control should activate in situations like you mention. The Jeep shouldn't go all over the road but instead start slowing down as the system tries to regain control. My 2C's
Even if ESP activates, if the condition truly is "death wobble" the tire(s) hop and lose contact with the pavement and ESP relies on selective braking to counter a perceived skid condition. It applies the brakes to one or more wheels as needed based on inputs from wheel spin and steering angle to counter the skid. That's why it's so important after suspension mods or allignments to center the steering wheel. If it's off center enough it will cause the ESP to activate when you don't want/need it.

ESP can't do much for you if your wheels aren't in constant contact with the ground. Best way to avoid this condition is to keep up with regular tire maintenance - balance, rotation, proper inflation, and while he's under there have him check the linkage for worn parts or loose bolts.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I curently have death woble on my air rock system got track bars on order when mine did it I had the trailer be hind her and thought I was gonna take the car beside me out it was crazzy never had it befor but heard about it didnt know it was quite so violent
Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CJK
When the day comes that your crap works its way loose or you sling some tire weights and you find yourself losing control as your tires start to hop 6-8" off the ground at highway speed we'd love to hear back from you assuming you live through the experience. Still want to call it a shimmy? How about keeping it civil especially in areas where you have no personal experience.

LOL, Where I have no personal experiene? Dude I could give you plenty of war stories, been there done that, I have also had mild experiences with motorcyle wobble.

Given my choice I'd far rather take the chance with 4 wheels than two, especially with a roll bar.

Oh, and as to freeway speeds? Let me assure you that those would have been considered coasting speeds. Although I remember one time in a TR3 where the wheel pounded the pavement and took me off the highway into a field, but that was the slowest one of all.

It still would not have happened if I had done the proper maintenance.

Sorry that I hurt your feelings.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Victim=ME!!