Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble... Really need help

Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had death wobble at high speeds.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a little wobble past 40 mph, but I'm pretty sure its because the tires aren't balanced. I have had my lift for almost a year, and tires for only a couple weeks.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

i've yet to see death wobble at slow speeds.

check your track bar, my jeep was doing the exact same thing, first it was the axle end of the track bar, i made a new bracket out of 3/8's plate.

then my frame end went south, since i'm planning on a overhaul this winter so i welded 3/16's washer onto the frame as a patch job, changed my bushing (i'd say yours is bad too) and went from there, it is good now, if your out somewhere and it does it, you can tighten the heck out of it and you should be able to get home to fix it.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

I just picked the jeep up today, put a new tie rod on it yesterday and the tires were installed and i had a alighnment doen this morning.

I drove it around with no steering stabilizer (my RC Dual 2.2 kit is not usable, waiting on new brackets) for a minute or two and felt slight vibrations at 40 but couldnt get up to speed on back roads, i will hit the highway after work.

the wobble at 40 is definitly fixed, but i dont know about the 50-65ish wobble is at random times so we will have to see.

And sorry for not posting for a while, ive been working on fixing a cracked head in a TJ aswell so im all over the place, I have been following the thread from alerts from Emails but all the replys didnt come though, I had no idea there were this many replys.... THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS, i really appreciate all the help

Last edited by hyatt147; 08-17-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

UPDATE:

I got my jeep back from the shop and it was fine for the ride home, just went to drop my brother off at his friends and my jeep decided to completely lose control

the steering wheel went wild and i couldn't even control it so i hit the breaks... my speed was about 20 mph

I pulled over and the track bar had some play in it again.....

managed to turn around, it happened again on the way home but i stayed slow,,,,i got up to 35 mph but gradually and carefully

i have never felt something like that in my life.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hyatt147
UPDATE:

I pulled over and the track bar had some play in it again.....
This is not normal. Should be at 125 lb/ft
You have a 4" suspension lift. Do you have at least 4 deg of caster ?
The trac bar has to be tightened when the Jeep is on the ground. (Not on the lift)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

i was just out in the garage, the jeep is on the ground and i just checked and it is at 125ft/lbs

when i say that there is play it seems like it is coming from the joint. it is like a clicking noise and i can feel the outer ring of the joint moving.the actual part that the bolt runs through is not moving

sorry for my lack of language in how to explain this, i dont know the names of all the parts of a heim/flex joint
Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a Superlift adj trk bar right? There are two spacer bushings that go on either side of the joint at the axle mount.Most adj TB's don't have these as a seperate pieces. If you have taken the trackbar loose, these bushing/spacers fall out pretty easily. Are they still there? Could you take a close up pic?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Superlift,...... see highlighted parts

PART NO DESCRIPTION NEW ATTACHING BAG #
HARDWARE
(Qty.- if more than one) (Qty.- if more than one)
55-01-5704 .................front track bar...............................(2) 9/16” x 3” bolt 77-5704C
(4) 9/16” SAE washer
(2) 9/16” stover nut
(1) 1” OD x 1-9/16” sleeve
(2) bushing half(1) 1/4” grease fitting
(1) heim joint
(2) heim insert
(1) 3/4” jam nut
FORM #5725.01-013107 PRINTED IN U.S.A. PAGE 2 OF 3
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
1) PREPARE VEHICLE...
�� Position the vehicle on a level surface with the front tires pointing straight ahead. Put the vehicle in park or First gear, set the emergency brake, and chock the rear wheels to prevent any possibility of movement. The vehicle should remain on the ground with the suspension “loaded” at normal operating weight to reflect the true ride height.
2) TRACK BAR REMOVAL…
�� Prior to removing the stock track bar, inspect the attaching points for movement while moving the steering wheel left and right. The axle and frame mounting holes tend to elongate. If any of these conditions exist, repair the attachment points before proceeding. Any looseness will create tire / wheel shimmy.
�� Remove the factory track bar from the vehicle and set aside.
3) TRACK BAR…
�� Lubricate and install the bushings and sleeves in the track bar body. Thread the supplied jam nut on the heim joint and loosely thread the heim into the bar. Do not tighten at this time.
�� Position the supplied machined spacers on each side of the heim end and insert the assembly in the track bar mount on the axle. Secure using the supplied 9/16” x 3” bolt, SAE washers, and stover nut. Do not tighten at this time.
�� Position the upper end of the bar in the track bar mount on the frame and secure it using the supplied 9/16” x 3” bolt, SAE washers, and stover nut. Do not tighten at this time.
4) FRONT TRACK BAR ADJUSTMENT…
���� Verify that the tires are pointed straight ahead. Position a plumb bob or similar tool against the inside edge of the frame. Measure the distance between the line of the plumb bob and the inside edge of the wheel. Record this measurement, then repeat the procedure on the other side.
�� Compare the two measurements recorded in the previous step; the goal is to make them equal. If the driver side measurement is greater than the passenger side, the track bar needs to be lengthened. If the passenger side measurement is greater than the driver side, the track bar needs to be shortened. In most cases, the track bar on a lifted vehicle needs to be longer than stock.
�� Remove the lower end of the track bar from the vehicle and make the appropriate adjustments. Tighten the jam nut firmly, then reattach the bar to the axle and torque (130).
�� Wiggle the front tires back and forth several times to fully seat the track bar. Repeat the measuring procedure

These spacers are what I'm referring too, one time when I had mine off, I forgot to put one in and was like, wtf is wrong here, then I saw it under my tire.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

This track bar had been on there for around 45000 miles, but it is my 2nd one, the 1st one had to be sent back because of the treads being stripped from a known problem of to fine of threads.....

Last edited by hyatt147; 08-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble... Really need help