Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble... Really need help

Old 08-15-2010, 10:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Death Wobble... Really need help

Ok so i have been experiencing some Death wobble for some time now. It has been stable between 35 and 45mph, but my guess is that this is due to a lightly bad alignment and my worn out tires...

I have a new tie-rod and set of tires waiting to go on this week so hopefully that will help....

THE NEW PROBLEM:
About a week ago i started to get wobble at 50-65 ASWELL.... but its not constant, it will happen, then it wont.

Tonight i was driving on the highway and it started at 35 stopped at 40 as usual but THEN it started at 50 and was uncontrollable till i pulled over after getting up at 65mph.

I checked some thing out while i was pulled over:
-my track bar seemed to have a little play in it

the only thing that i have done around the time of this starting was putting on a Skid row engine skid and i don't think that has anything to do with this new found problem.

other problems, that may be related
--there is a sound coming from the wheels, possible needed wheel bearing
--there is a click/bang when i take off and stop some

I really appreciate any input on my issues....im supposed to be going to Rausch creek this coming weekend,,,and i need to get as much fixed as i can

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

-my track bar seemed to have a little play in it
That is the one that jumps out at me. Pull it off, check the holes at both ends (frame and axle) to see if they are wallowed out. If so, get some washers welded in. If not, torque that puppy down

Read through this one if you haven't done so already.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles
Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 PM
JK Freak

when i checked it out, it has play on the axle end and its not back and forth, its tight, but seems like there is some weird movent in the joint... im going to take it out tomorrow and check it out

by the way it is a superlift adj trackbar, just for the record
Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
It sounds to me like a tire balancing issue. Sometimes, with larger tires, it takes a couple of tries for them to be balanced correctly.
The tires have 50,000 miles on them, the new ones are not on yet, it is just weird to me that the wobble will happen sometimes and not all the time, and it just started about a week ago.

I feel like balance and alignment problems will cause the wobble all the time not sometimes. but i could be wrong
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have a new tie-rod and set of tires waiting to go on this week
That is why i mentioned the trackbar. No sense re-balancing a set of tires he is getting rid of.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 AM
JK Junkie

I have never been able to accelerate through a death wobble, and the two times I tried it just got a whole lot worse. Vibrations from tire balance I've certainly been able to accelerate through, but far different than full on death wobble.

It sounds as if you have already identified two contributing factors to death wobble and there isn't much sense poking around looking for others until you remedy them. If you wait long enough, I'm sure they will start tearing some other stuff up.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hyatt147
Tonight i was driving on the highway and it started at 35 stopped at 40 as usual but THEN it started at 50 and was uncontrollable till i pulled over after getting up at 65mph.

This is wobble, not death wobble.
With death wobble, you CAN'T accelerate. Trust me.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

The low speed and high speed is a combination of out of balance tire(high speed) and possibly and out of round tire or out of round wheel(low speed).
Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Default how worn are you tires

on my rubi i had death wobble but it was because the tires were so un balanced and could be balanced. that took out the ball joints which the dealer re-did under warranty then some new tires and no more death wobble
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Toad is right

Wobble is an oscillation (issue) coming from the wheels

Death wobble is an oscillation coming from the direction parts (trac bar, ball joints, allignment, etc)

You have to read this https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles

Quick Reply: Death Wobble... Really need help