Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death wobble question

Old 09-11-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble question

Has anyone ever heard of bad or worn out front shocks or bushings, or unevenly worn front tires causing death wobble? My death wobble occurs after 55MPH when hitting almost any imperfection on the road. New OEM steering stabilizer replaced a Skyjacker dual stabilizer set up where on shock was blown out and one was locked up.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, people have posted that bad tires, shocks, joints, bushings, etc, etc, contributed to deathwobble.

But rather than guessing or throwing parts at it, start with a balance/rotation and then go through Planmans DW/Shimmy diagnosis a few times to actually check the various components and the torque specs. (it is stuck right to the top of the Writeups area).
Old 09-12-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swiz9
Has anyone ever heard of bad or worn out front shocks or bushings, or unevenly worn front tires causing death wobble? My death wobble occurs after 55MPH when hitting almost any imperfection on the road. New OEM steering stabilizer replaced a Skyjacker dual stabilizer set up where on shock was blown out and one was locked up.

Thanks
So did you get a chance to look it over? What did you find?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

"My death wobble occurs after 55MPH when hitting almost any imperfection on the road"

Make sure you are not confusing "death wobble" with bump steer. Death wobble (called speed wobble before Jeepers coined their own term) has little or nothing to do with rough terrain. Death wobble is an oscillation of the front wheels caused by a lack of damping. The wheels vibrate uncontrollably. Think of a shopping cart wheel that suddenly starts to dance all over the place as you are pushing it along. Bump steer is a Jeep's tendency to have it's path deflected by an object in the path of one wheel (or road imperfection). Bump steer is inherent on every single Wrangler, even factory new, due to the design of the steering/suspension but it is especially exaggerated as the Jeep is lifted incrementally higher. There are different remedies for each condition so make sure you identify your problem before you throw money at it. You can find numerous videos online of true death wobble if needed.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

B4 we decide what problem you have. Your so called dw. You will know if you have a true dw. Do you have to pull over everytime you get one? Or slow down? Or feel like your jeep is falling apart? When I had it, The jeep was undriveable. I had to pull over 6 times in a 10 mile distance. Every bump or dip in the road caused one.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tribulation138
B4 we decide what problem you have. Your so called dw. You will know if you have a true dw. Do you have to pull over everytime you get one? Or slow down? Or feel like your jeep is falling apart? When I had it, The jeep was undriveable. I had to pull over 6 times in a 10 mile distance. Every bump or dip in the road caused one.
This is a good point. Death wobble does not have to be this severe, but generally it only stops when you slow the vehicle down considerably. If you are traveling 55mph, hit a bump, the front end starts moving, and the problem corrects itself without you slamming on the breaks and slowing to 20mph then you are not experiencing death wobble. Let us know which problem you have and we can give you suggestions to fix it.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

I had death wobble issues for months.

Bought everything, track bar, control arms, high steer, tie rod and drag link.

Bought new tires, gone.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Without starting the vehicle saw the wheel back and forth slightly, if you look out the window down the side of the hood see if the whole cab is moving before the tires begin to turn. If so shocks and tires are not the cause of your wobble. I'd look into the track bar, mounts, bushings, and then control arms, then steering links. In that order.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drexelsteve
Without starting the vehicle saw the wheel back and forth slightly, if you look out the window down the side of the hood see if the whole cab is moving before the tires begin to turn. If so shocks and tires are not the cause of your wobble. I'd look into the track bar, mounts, bushings, and then control arms, then steering links. In that order.
Don't forget bad unit bearings
Old 09-13-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

To answer some questions:

I did refer to Planmans write up and couldn't Diagnos it.

It's defiantly not bump steer. When it occurs, the violent shaking is still there as I'm slowing down and continues until I've stopped.

I'm thinking it may be the front shock bushings as everything else is tight as it pertains to linkage, etc. The shocks are about due for replacement so I'm starting there. And I'm going to rotate the tires. Doing both this coming weekend.

Not for the death wobble issue, but wife and I are probably going to sell the jeep for a different vehicle anyway. Need more family room.

Quick Reply: Death wobble question