Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble PSA - Frame Crossmember Crack!!!

Old 10-20-2021, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Death Wobble PSA - Frame Crossmember Crack!!!

Hey all... so my story starts out similar to most, but first some background: '08 Rubicon JKU MT, 3.5" RK X factor lift w/ 2.25 shocks, 37" Nitto TG w spacers, 60k miles(yeah low!). Never had DW after years of the install... a few weeks ago got the DW on a rough road around town. Didn't think that much of it since I hadn't had it before. Then again the next day on the same stretch of road, which got me a bit concerned. Figured it was loose links or the like so started in on the typical checklist. All tight, and torqued, didn't have to touch even one! Tried it again the next day and sure enough, DW again! Figured at this point my hub unit bearings were on the way out... Drove home and got DW over every pebble, almost had to tow it home. At this point I just parked it for a couple days and kept laying under the front end staring at it while my son wobbled the steering wheel. Really could find anything! Getting pretty frustrated at that point grabbed the light again and stared up at the front end one last time and low and behold found the culprit. The dang frame crossmember right in front of the engine mounts across the rail from the steering box is CRACKED! Cracked all the way around on one side and half way on the other, Yikes!!! Tore the front end off the Jeep immediately and grabbed the Mig. Anyway, long story not really short, the DW checklists while good may not always lead you to the root cause. If everything checks out but you still have DW, keep looking!!! While your at it, give that crossmember a check just for giggles.... YW

Before 1

Before 2

After w Gusset
Old 10-20-2021, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 425 Posts

Great info. Did you gusset both sides while you were at it? 37's place a lot of stress on things like frames. IE the components of a Jeep were never designed to take those loads and stresses.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Great info. Did you gusset both sides while you were at it? 37's place a lot of stress on things like frames. IE the components of a Jeep were never designed to take those loads and stresses.
Oh yeah! Actually drilled and plug welded it as well, since it's a tube in tube through the frame rail. TBH it got me thinking of other areas that may need some "support". Haven't heard of that many frame issues with the JK but maybe I'm just lucky... In any case, my DW disappeared instantly after this, so....

Quick Reply: Death Wobble PSA - Frame Crossmember Crack!!!