Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble - problems seem to be going away

Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble

Thanks again Planman
I will not get a chance to do this until the weekend, but will do this over the weekend. I am waiting on a new Trackbar with the very large and strong rubber bushes, delivery tomorrow, and am still waiting on new lower control arms. My trackbar holes are slightly wallowed, but something I noticed when I first looked at this, before they were wallowed, they were simply large, like 15.5mm to 16mm but perfectly round???? I will either weld some washers in here (45mm x 4mm thick???) or wait for the right hand drive reinforced mounts to be available in Aust. I have tried to stay away from the flex joints, so have had to wait to local Aust manufacturers have made some control arms etc. SOLID is now doing this, so they are in the post. The swivel joint in the JKS is also illegal here. After turning me away for warranty, Jeep have finally decided to look at my JK as it is only a 2" (62mm to be exact) left. I believe that the left hand side tie rod end is shot, you can feel it knock, but it is had to see any movement, and the left hand side lower ball joint has a small amount of movement as well. My JK is only 6 months old with 4000km on it.
Wheel alingment done professionally 1200km ago, (after I instaleld the lift) with a 2.9 to 3 deg castor.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Death Wobble fixed, then back again

Hi Planman
A few weeks ago, jeep finally agreed to look at my JK. The suspect TRE and entire Tie Rod was replaced. That same afternoon I installed the new front trackbar, and several days later i installed new JKS LCA's. The car has been driving like a dream. Went away on the weekend, and the wobble returned, not as bad as before as I was only only on dirt roads and while doing 40 to 80km/h, but more than what I would call a shimmy. It really felt like it was only coming from one side, the left, I had several people in the car who also though the same. I did a quick undercar check at my destination. There was definate movement in the draglink which appeared to be coming from the steering box. You metioned the steering box in your previous post

"Then, while you inspect the steering system, have a buddy turn on the engine and gently turn the steering side to side while you inspect the drag link end and the shaft that comes out of the steering box. Look for looseness in the drag link end or that shaft."

Have you seen this before. Also, what do you make of the "left side only feel" possible ball joint as well. I have it booked back in at Jeep next week. After the initially denied me a warranty claim, there service has been great, although they have asked me to reduce the lift to a reasonable 2". Castor is 7 deg with a 2.5" lift, and Toe is zero.
Thanks
Tom
Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Death wobble will never die. it will forever be a topic here.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default DW

Thanks Planman
I was thinking the same about the lower balljoint, I just need to collect my large jack and stands from my mate, so that I can check as per your previous post, as i did previously. The movement in the steering box still concerns me?

I thought the castor was to high as well. I had the wheel alignment done by the Jeep workshop in my state, a couple of days after I installed the JKS LCA's. These guys are known as the Jeep experts Aust wide, one of the three or four anyway.

I have not had time to jump under and really have a good look. I arrived home late Monday night after a long weekend away, and a 600 mile drive, then straight back to work. The 2010 models were suppose to have stronger ball joints. I will allow Jeep to replace them once under warranty, but if it happens again, i will install some decent ones. I cannot afford to have an unreliable vehicle, i drive to many miles on my weekends away.
Thanks
Tom
Originally Posted by planman
I would back off your caster to around 5.5 degrees.

What you are describing is most likely a bad lower ball joint on one or both sides. I describe how to check them in my write-up link below.

Death Wobble is very easy to diagnose and fix. The reason it won't die is because people don't take the time to read how to diagnose and fix it, and they believe they can somehow "fix" loose or damaged components with a heavy duty steering stabilizer:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles

I can't tell you how many times I have read JK, TJ and XJ jeep owners, and solid front axle ford and dodge truck owners, etc. think they "fixed" their death wobble with a steering stabilizer.

You can fix ... intentional ignorance.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with DW is the longer you have it, a larger number of joints are damaged and it becomes increasingly difficult to diagnose the root cause.

If you find the root cause and fix it, the secondary damaged parts now become the root cause.

Most of the cases the root cause can be traced back to trackbar joints and mounts and ball joints both of which can require some disassembly for a thorough check.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

My '09 JK Unlimited X was doing it on the stock rubber. It progressively got worse while the Dealer waited on the "new and improved" steering stabilizer that was on National back-order. Since the new stabilizer was installed I've had zero issues. I see that the '10's have the new larger stabilizer with the dust boot that covers the shaft.

It may be a bandaide but so far no bleeding after about 9 months.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed an HD SS with relo bracket which required me to remove and reinstall the trackbar. I also removed 1" of lift from front springs by removing 1 of 2 spacers. i also played around with the toe-in. I no longer have death wobble but not sure which one fixed it.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble - problems seem to be going away