Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit

Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-132779/

Check this thread out lots of good info and you can learn a lot about what parts do what things... When my wobble was bbad it was because of just a bunch of loose items
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's more of a cover up and not a fix at all in my opinion but pull of your steering stabo and see if you can easily move it by hand or see if it as signs of fluid leakage if so replace it ... I used a pro comp one to buy some time .... I have since fixed my problems and ran without one for 2 months to ensure I want masking any real issues it's back on now and still helps with a tighter steering feeling
Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave7200
I'm glad one other person chimed in on my idea. Just bump up the caster, if everything is tight and the bolt holes are not ovals a new track bar isn’t going to do anything. With only 2.5 inches of lift you shouldn’t need to raise the track bar or the drag link. I know it completely took care of my issue. The post I found it on had a diagram and everything showing why you can’t have death wobble with caster up enough. You can’t hurt anything by raising the caster. I'm only trying to help and I know what a difference it made on my Jeep. I saw someone said it could be a camber issue. Camber wont have anything to do with it either.
Ive raced Motorcycles for years now. Caster on a bike can mean life and death with respect to control of the bike at very high speed. Caster on a bike is what keeps it wanting to go in a straight line at speed and makes going almost 200mph on a motorcycle around a track controlled. I do however prefer to measure caster with a drop weight to measure the caster as a function of distance on the ground rather then an angle. It helps me to visualize the amount of cushion I have before the front end goes loose on me.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure what relocation brackets are?? I just ordered adjustable LCA's and used an electronic angle finder to get to the desired caster. I was amazed how close I was when I had the alignment shop check it just to see how close I was.
AEV and Rough Country make them. I'm sure there are others. They basically lower the stock front control arms to simulate what LCA's do. They aren't adjustable but are made for lifts around 3" to fix the caster geometry. I figure since I went with a BB to save cost I don't want to spend more on LCA's than the lift itself. Anyone know if these brackets work? BTW, I've been through Planman's checklist and post already and caster appears to be the issue for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont see why a bracket couldnt work. You are just going to change the rake a bit which will give you some more caster angle. For all practical purpose you cant really add too much caster so if you are not wanting to spend money on adjustable arms I'm sure the brackets would work fine for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive been searching the net to try and find some of the articles and what looked like CAD charts showing what caster is and why it has so much to do with bump steer and death wobble but I only found a couple people saying they changed their caster to word off bump steer and DW but I have to run to a meeting for an hour. I’m going to continue when I return. It made such a difference in mine. I’d love to know what this poor fella’s caster is at on his vehicle giving him such troubles. The post with the motorcycle is right on, a bike with forks that are more straight up and down will wobble like crazy if you let go of the handle bars but a bike with forks tilted back (caster) will not.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry I meant caster not camber I get those two reversed sometimes. I'm not a mechanic only play one in the back yard. Lol But my father was for 35 years so I do know a thing or two. If you do what I told you you can diagnose where it's coming from. You can also use an angle finder to find your caster with in a couple degrees. Good luck and good wrenching.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive been searching the net to try and find some of the articles and what looked like CAD charts showing what caster is and why it has so much to do with bump steer and death wobble but I only found a couple people saying they changed their caster to word off bump steer and DW but I have to run to a meeting for an hour. I’m going to continue when I return. It made such a difference in mine. I’d love to know what this poor fella’s caster is at on his vehicle giving him such troubles. The post with the motorcycle is right on, a bike with forks that are more straight up and down will wobble like crazy if you let go of the handle bars but a bike with forks tilted back (caster) will not.
Dave if you are looking for an awesome book that will explain in detail how every part of any suspension works and how to tune, adjust and accurately measure it you can look for this in your local bookstore..

Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible......

Yes I know it is about motorcycles but it is much easier to understand the basics behind what happens with two wheels then four to start with. Race Tech is a premier suspension builder with a long history of top notch performance. This covers not only how to wrench on suspension parts but the science behind it all. What forces are at work. How to capture those forces and redirect in a desired fashion based on desired results. If you cant find a copy let me know and I can send you my copy if you are interested.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
With 3.25" lift--a 2.5" coil lift plus 0.75" coil spacers--caster correction and an adjustable front trackbar are both needed.

The problem with control arm drop brackets is that they are designed for a specific lift height, and there is no adjustability. If you are on a budget, buy a used set of front lower adjustable control arms. Only use drop brackets if you are running the same amount of lift for which they were designed. Too much caster can cause big problems also.

Worn trackbar bushings can be even worse than loose trackbar bolts for DW.
Well I spent so much on my jeep in the last two months about 5.5k that I'm about spent out. I got the super lift trackbar that is for 0-6" of lift. I'll have to see about the LCA
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
With 3.25" lift--a 2.5" coil lift plus 0.75" coil spacers--caster correction and an adjustable front trackbar are both needed.

The problem with control arm drop brackets is that they are designed for a specific lift height, and there is no adjustability. If you are on a budget, buy a used set of front lower adjustable control arms. Only use drop brackets if you are running the same amount of lift for which they were designed. Too much caster can cause big problems also.

Worn trackbar bushings can be even worse than loose trackbar bolts for DW.
Are you referring to the AEV drop brackets? I"m interested in this because AEV touts them as not needing LCAs typically. Also, they do adjust 2.5, 3.5, 4.5. I was going to order some, but would really like to hear your opinion before doing so. Also, while I have you, I never loosened my control arms when installing my lift and (knock on wood) have not had any issues specifically related to this. I have had a fairly rough ride, but could these be why? I really hesitant to loosen everything as the last thing I want to do is cause DW at this point. I have roughly 3.5" lift (see below) and was going to add teh AEV brackets.. let me know your opinion..

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit