Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit

Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
You don't need an adjustable trackbar with a 2.5" lift. Nice to have, but not required. It won't fix your problem unless your current trackbar bushings are damaged.
If my bushings are shot would that cause the DW? I'm leaving Amarillo tx after I eat this 36 oz steak and 27 oz beer at 10am lol and driving to Lawton OK I'll snap some pics then
Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wgrin
Ok well I had the tires balanced and rotated and retorqued the bolts. I drove 360 miles last night from Dallas to Amarillo and at about 300 I hit a pot hole and had the worst DW EVER I thought the axle was going to fall off. I'm trying the track bar and if that doesn't do it I'm getting rid of this thing. I love driving it but if it's this crappy forget it. My wife is already pissed I've spent this much money on it.
Before you give up I would find a competent 4x4 shop and see if they can figure it out

Matthew
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wgrin
Ok well I had the tires balanced and rotated and retorqued the bolts. I drove 360 miles last night from Dallas to Amarillo and at about 300 I hit a pot hole and had the worst DW EVER I thought the axle was going to fall off. I'm trying the track bar and if that doesn't do it I'm getting rid of this thing. I love driving it but if it's this crappy forget it. My wife is already pissed I've spent this much money on it.
If you eliminated the tire possibility now I would also suggest the caster angle. As one of the other guys above posted if you have enough caster death wobble is pretty much impossible. If you do give up thou PM me I might be interested, although I wouldnt give up so easy.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

You can check your own alignment with a tape a one other person from one point on a the back tire to the front on each side they should be the same then diagonal and they should be the same just make sure the wheels are straight and on level ground and use the exact points. This will tell you if your out of square. To check your tie rods jack up a side put on jack stands grab the tire and try to move it in and out shake it and see if it has play. While its on the stands have someone turn the wheel back and forth while looking at the linkage to see if something is bad there or loss. I would also check all your steering linkages following all the way back to the steering column. If you find no problems with any of these points it could be a camber issue or a problem with the suspension. Also when checking your alignment if you mark out points pryer on the inside and outside of your tires with a wax pencil it will make it easier to do with a unskilled mechanic you must get accurate measurements. I hope this helps and good luck
Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

I've noticed that mostly between 20-40 mph my steering wheel feels like it is wobbling back and forth. I do not think it is the steering box but I've noticed the problems are between that range
Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Jack it up and grab the tire of it wiggles side to side it's a tie rod up and down a ball joint and do both sides. I also have read people breaking their steering box try actually make a part to strengthen it up because of breakage due to larger wheels and or offloading. If you check all these points I gave you you should find the problem. But like I said check the whole system or you could miss it.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Offroading Lol
Old 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm glad one other person chimed in on my idea. Just bump up the caster, if everything is tight and the bolt holes are not ovals a new track bar isn’t going to do anything. With only 2.5 inches of lift you shouldn’t need to raise the track bar or the drag link. I know it completely took care of my issue. The post I found it on had a diagram and everything showing why you can’t have death wobble with caster up enough. You can’t hurt anything by raising the caster. I'm only trying to help and I know what a difference it made on my Jeep. I saw someone said it could be a camber issue. Camber wont have anything to do with it either.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having similar issues. For cost reasons I'm considering relocation brackets to address the caster issues. Will that help or should I go straight to LCA's?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure what relocation brackets are?? I just ordered adjustable LCA's and used an electronic angle finder to get to the desired caster. I was amazed how close I was when I had the alignment shop check it just to see how close I was.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit