Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit

Old 05-27-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a link to his DW thread?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Post #18 in this thread...... check out his signature!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DeVoTee
Post #18 in this thread...... check out his signature!
Yeah had just got that thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

How far off center is acceptable? Mine is 3/8" further out on the passenger side. M
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I know its long but I think it will help!!

No one has mentioned this yet but what is your caster at? I had my lift put in and after that I had bump steer so bad it felt like something had to be wrong. I called my jeep dealer who researched it and said I needed dual steering stabilizers. I knew that wasnt right so I read everything I could find on the issue from all kinds of form boards like this and came across the caster issue with diagrams showing why the right amount of caster is needed. I went and got adjustable lower control arms and put the caster up to six degrees. Before I did it when I would hit a bump I’d feel it in the steering wheel and it would kind of have that feeling that next is death wobble but never quite go into death wobble. After I upped the caster it was just about perfect. Only problem was my pinion was pointing down too much for my likes so I put in a pro rock unlimited and that took care of that problem. I am a big believer in the caster issue; I also came across an article that said it’s almost impossible for a vehicle to go into death wobble if you have enough caster. When I put in the pro rock I had them put a track bar mount on the axle that was up three inches and did a drag link flip. Now it steers just like stock if not better.

Don’t beat me up if someone feels I’m all wrong. Its what worked for me. Also, I’m sorry but I couldn’t tell you where any of these articles are I came across. I read so many and should have book marked them. The best way to find it is do a yahoo search for “JK bump steer after lift installed” and it will take you to all of the ones I found. Bump steer and death wobble go hand in hand.

I just want to add I have the same tire size you do and I also did the bolt kit thing in my effort to get rid of the bump steer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014-b.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	322677

Last edited by dave7200; 05-28-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

is that a pro rock 60 or 44
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

It’s the 44. I didn’t get the 60 for two reasons. First the 60 is 3.5 inches wider than the 44. In my town the cops don’t have issue with lifts but they are sticklers about tires sticking out of the fenders and mine are already sticking out by about two inches. Second, I just purchased my rims and the 60 uses a different bolt pattern. I guess another factor that played in is my Rubicon has the switch to turn the locker on and off and the 60 doesn’t have the option to keep that feature and their 44 does so I would have had to get an ARB and plumb air hose and compressor and I like being able to just push th0e button.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a lot of the same issues. Turned out it was the front ball joints. JK ball joints are notoriously weak. I had them replaced by an offroad shop with heavy duty ball joints. Solid as when I first bought it, now. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Ok well I had the tires balanced and rotated and retorqued the bolts. I drove 360 miles last night from Dallas to Amarillo and at about 300 I hit a pot hole and had the worst DW EVER I thought the axle was going to fall off. I'm trying the track bar and if that doesn't do it I'm getting rid of this thing. I love driving it but if it's this crappy forget it. My wife is already pissed I've spent this much money on it.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry ignore my previous post... Snap some good pictures of your suspension and your front geometry, post em and we'll see if anything jumps out. who are your tires through? did they do an alignment too?

did you mess with any other piece underneath? Tie Rod, Drag Link? I hate to say it but its just going to take some patients. loosen one piece, re-torque, test drive, repeat, until you get it.. somethings just not quite in line is all.. You'll get it.

Last edited by rdubb1031; 05-30-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit