Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit

Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CM5280
So, like some others, I've been fighting death wobble on my 2008 Rubi Unlimited (Teraflex 3.5" Lift on 35x12.5" tires) for some time. I bought the Northridge bolt kit and noticed a couple of things while installing:

1. I have the Teraflex adjustable trackbar. The frame side bolt went right in with no problems. The axle side bolt wouldn't go through at all. I pulled the trackbar off and tried to push the bolt through, but the bolt shoulder wouldn't go through as it's too big - tried several other bolts in the kit with no luck! I went to Napa and bought a 9/16" course-thread bolt and it works fine - weird.

2. When replacing the lower control arm bolts, the driver side went pretty smooth. The passenger side was a real pain! When I was putting the frame-side bolt in, I noticed the hole was off-center and the bolt wouldn't go through. I had to ratchet-strap the axle and pull it towards the rear of the vehicle before the hole would line up so I could get the bolt through. Does this seem normal or is something out of whack with my axle alignment front to rear??

Nonetheless, took the Jeep out and found a nice bridge expansion joint doing about 50 mph - boom! Death wobble and frustration continue!

CM
I haven't read through your thread but have you upgraded tie rod and ends and everything is super tight. I had to take mine in to get it all tightened up I did not have long enough leverage bars to tighten mine up and I'm 6'3 200 pounds so I was surprised I couldn't get all the bolts tight enough
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't upgraded the tie rod and ends yet, but I did get all the 9/16" bolts torqued to which required a lot of muscle and straining! When the torque wrench clicked, I had to take several minutes between bolts as it was exhausting.

Anyone else have thoughts on why the passenger side of the axle was off by about 1/8"? Is this normal??
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CM5280
I haven't upgraded the tie rod and ends yet, but I did get all the 9/16" bolts torqued to which required a lot of muscle and straining! When the torque wrench clicked, I had to take several minutes between bolts as it was exhausting.

Anyone else have thoughts on why the passenger side of the axle was off by about 1/8"? Is this normal??
I had trouble getting it threaded in on the axle side since it was fine threaded, but it finally took hold after repeated tries.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest a heavy duty tie rod and new tie rod ends and tighten the hell out of it. if you dont have control arms yet that could also be an issue. improper caster will also cause it. If you have your stock track bar it probably either need to be relocated or replaced with an adjustable one. if its too short for your lift your car will not be center on your axle. as I understand it.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit