Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit

Old 05-26-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit

I put on the Northridge 4x4 grade 8 bolt kit. Torque everything and just probably had the worst death wobble yet on my way to work. I have put probably 1k-1.5k miles on it since I had the lift installed. Of course the place I had the lift done said it was the steering stabilizer and the wheels being unbalanced. I am going to try and adjustable track bar next and I hope that works I just hope that this will fix it, because I am not going to through all my money trying to figure it out. Anyone have any other thoughts beside the track bar being swapped out?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you retorqued all of those bolts. A new trackbar prob won't solve it.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
I just put them on 2 hours ago torque them then. Other than gettting a adjustable track bar that can be put back in geometric sync with the original I am lost. According to wayoflife in the FAQ section he stated that death wobble will ONLY occur if there is a problem with the track bar.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
x2, before spending anymore $$$$$ try loosening all the control arm and track bar bolts. This will release any possible binding in the suspension parts, then with the Jeep on the ground with all it's weight rested re-torque all the bolts to the needed specs. See if that helps...Other than that maybe your track bar mounting hole(s) were already wallowed out before you added the new hardware...Best of luck in getting it resolved...Keep us posted....
Old 05-26-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
x2, before spending anymore $$$$$ try loosening all the control arm and track bar bolts. This will release any possible binding in the suspension parts, then with the Jeep on the ground with all it's weight rested re-torque all the bolts to the needed specs. See if that helps...Other than that maybe your track bar mounting hole(s) were already wallowed out before you added the new hardware...Best of luck in getting it resolved...Keep us posted....
I actually put the bolts on while the jeep was on the ground initially. The only thing I can think is that the track bar holes may have been wallowed out already. I did not change the bolts on the rear track bar, they put a relocation bracket on that when I had the lift put in and I was having trouble getting those off. But I don't think the rear track bar would be the problem as when I get the DW it starts as soon as the front tires hit something. I can get a new adjustable track bar that is by Superlift for 144. My DW lucky only occurs at around 20-25 mph, Ive even gotten it stop by speeding up a couple times.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wgrin
I actually put the bolts on while the jeep was on the ground initially. The only thing I can think is that the track bar holes may have been wallowed out already. I did not change the bolts on the rear track bar, they put a relocation bracket on that when I had the lift put in and I was having trouble getting those off. But I don't think the rear track bar would be the problem as when I get the DW it starts as soon as the front tires hit something. I can get a new adjustable track bar that is by Superlift for 144. My DW lucky only occurs at around 20-25 mph, Ive even gotten it stop by speeding up a couple times.
At least try loosening everything one more time. I've read a number of the threads on here and most of them state the torque on the bolts is the big issue. I ran stock trackbar on my 2.5" TF lift for a year and a half with no issue of DW even when the trackbar was flexing under stress. In other words, I'd hit a bump and it was loose steering, but no DW. I really think it has to do with the bolts. I ended up replacing my ball joints, tie rod, drag link, and trackbar because bushing were shot to $hit. However, I had absolutely zero deathwobble with all of those items shot.. I really think its the bolts, give it one more attempt... torque per Project-Jk specs... Let us know.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

What are the correct torque settings for the track bars? I was originally told 125 ft/lbs but my rock solid track bar instructions say 70. I still have some flighty steering even with the longer supposedly corrected lca's. Which is it? By the way I'm probably replacing the fixed length lca's with adjustables.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by robinson86
What are the correct torque settings for the track bars? I was originally told 125 ft/lbs but my rock solid track bar instructions say 70. I still have some flighty steering even with the longer supposedly corrected lca's. Which is it? By the way I'm probably replacing the fixed length lca's with adjustables.
I would go by the factory specs which recommends 125ft/lbs. Below are the torque info I got from Project JK..

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Torque Settings
Old 05-26-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robinson86
My RK kit had me torque damn near everything to 140 lb-ft. After install and when the Jeep was on the ground under its own weight I jumped on both bumpers for about a min. (I weigh 210). Then I crawled back under and torqued it all up.

Centered the steering wheel and got an alignment an it drives like a dream.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A bent wheel and unbalanced tires caused my wobbles

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Northridge Bolt Kit