Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death wobble and leaking stabilizer after lift

Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble and leaking stabilizer after lift

Put the Rough Country 2.5" lift on my 2dr X Saturday.

Today(Monday) I experienced my first death wobble on the interstate. I immediately stopped and took back roads the rest of the way to work. When I got home I verified nothing had come loose and everything was torqued to spec.

But... My stock steering stabilizer seems to have failed, as it was leaking oil.

Is this coincidence? I know for a fact the stabilizer was NOT leaking Saturday when I put the lift on. Was the stabilizer on it's last leg perhaps??

Should I just go get a new stabilizer at 4wheelparts and hope that solves the death wobble or??

I just hate to buy a new stabilizer and have it fail due to the newly installed lift.

Any input is appreciated
Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

A steering stabilizer will not cause or fix death wobble. You have another problem somewhere else.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

The stock steering stabilizer can leak for months without you noticing it, and it will never leave a drop on the floor of your Garage.
It is fairly simple to test it's effectiveness, just remove it and pull the shaft in and out.
If should be difficult to do, but not impossible. It should move smoothly and not make any gurgling noises.
If it has been leaking for a while, it will be noisy and the movement will be jerky.

Unless you are building a monster Jeep without taking the necessary steps to introduce parts that allow the Front end to be aligned completely, you do not need to spend big bucks on this part and duals may actually mask problems.
I recommend the Heavy Duty Stabilizer available from JeepSwag.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll try removing the stabilizer to see if it is still in good shape.

Thanks for input on death wobble. I'm hoping that the this line about the track bar is what I need to do. ->"or that the bushings are all twisted up because the rig has been lifted without the installer loosening the bolts and then retightened them at the new ride height" because I'm guilty of not doing that.

Thanks again
Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Since you've experienced DW, this time you should remove those bolts and check the holes for wallowing out before torquing everything down.

Quick Reply: Death wobble and leaking stabilizer after lift