Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

death wobble help

Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam30540
my tire guy did say that one of the rear tires did take alot to balance so im wondering if he just gave up on the fronts??? one thing to note is that i thought by reducing the tire pressure it might help since i was only running 28 lbs in my bfg's so i dropped the pressure from 36 to 30 and it seems to be worse. its also gotten worse since the temp dropped into the 10's in the south???
Maybe try a different tire shop if your regular guy can't get them balanced.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

He's just an old north ga redneck and i don't think he deals much with large tires.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got MTR's about 4 months ago. Took 3-4 balance attempts to get it to a point where it was negligible.

INSIST ON DYNAMIC BALANCING! It won't be offered, you must request and it will look nasty with weights on either side of wheels, but, I chose that option over DW.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

is dynamic balancing where they hammer the weights on to the outside diamater of the rim?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sam30540
is dynamic balancing where they hammer the weights on to the outside diamater of the rim?
Dynamic balancing is balancing the tire both vertically and horizontally. It requires a dual set of weights. They can be stick on weights, but weights mounted to the outside lip and the inside lip are best in that it is a function of how far apart they are horizontally.

ANd you need to make sure the shop can do a TRUE dynamic balance. I had mine done a few times until I found a shop with a Hunter GSP 9700 balancing machine. That did the trick. Other machines will work but make sure they take their time and do it right.

A spin balance is NOT a dynamic balance. Get a dynamic balance and I think you will have this solved.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe most references to dynamic balancing refer to a high speed spin balance as opposed to a static bubble balance.

Many shops do not have spin machines big enough to accommodate large offroad tires (35"+) that weigh 100+ lbs.

Laterally moving a 100 lb 35" spinning wheel would create very large off axis torsional forces.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE:::::

I had my front tires taken off and road force balanced. When i drove it back from the shop i had no wobble but the real difference came when i installed the dual steering stabilizer from rough country. That made all the difference in the world in terms of feedback and now the steering wheel is somewhat firm again.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default same problem

i had the exact same problem with 35" tires and a 4" lift. The problem was one of the control arms was knocked a little tighter than the other. So basically a thorough alignment job did the trick. I even went so far as to buy new tires before finding out that the problem was just one control arm was shorter than the other, effectively putting my front axle at a slight angle. It was just enough to initiate that wobble. I just marked the nuts with some paint and now i check them everytime I go wheeling.

Let me know how that rough country steering stabilizer works for you, I'm considering the same purchase.

Quick Reply: death wobble help