Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble/Bump Steer after lift?

Old 11-27-2018, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble/Bump Steer after lift?

New Jeep 2015 Wrangler Sport JKU. My husband and I did a 2.5" RC Suspension lift w/ shocks. Basic lift with springs, shocks, and brake line extension brackets. I also separately purchased a new steering stabilizer, sway bar end-links front and back, and forged adjustable track bar front and back. I've also put 33" tires on my jeep. Since my lift I've added the Barricade Adventure HD front bumper, the Barricade Trail Force HD rear bumper with tire carrier, and a 12,000lb viper winch which weighs 90lbs.

Now, that's the changes I've made on my jeep. I've noticed that when I hit 70+mph I get a shimmy which I was thinking high speed balance needed; BUT when I'm driving on a road at about 25-40mph I hit a bump on the right wheel I get a quick wobble/shimmy kind of feeling. It rights itself almost immediately without me having to slow down or do anything.

A friend of mine who has the same year Jeep, make, model also got the same lift as mine but he was advised that he needed the drag link. He spoke to extreme terrain. Now I don't know what kind of wobble he had but he said it was bad. Mine isn't bad at all and it doesn't happen when I hit a bump going high speed (both wheels go over the bump). I'm just curios. I was thinking upper and lower ball joints should be replaced (I haven't lifted my jeep to see if there is play in the wheels yet). Also note I do need an alignment. My steering wheel is skewed to the right by a few degrees. We attempted to adjust it a few months back but a friend kept touching the steering wheel and putting it straight while we adjusted. Finally we just stopped and told him to walk away.

Any info would be great. I'm still learning about my Jeep.

Last edited by valb97008; 11-27-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,901 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Doesn't sound like you have DW, but you do have a gremlin. Planman's videos would be good for you to watch and then get familiar with your steering system.

If you have not corrected your caster post-lift, your caster is a bit low and probably not helping, but not the real cause. same with the steering wheel....definitely straighten that up, but it's not the cause. I'd put $5 on a bad BJ. With someone in the jeep turning the wheel back and forth in short motions, spotting a bad DL joint or TR joint is fairly easy as you'll see the hole joint popping up/down (note rotational movement is normal due to the misalignment in the joints). BJs are easy to test by jacking one side up a bit, put a shovel under the tire, and step on the handle using it as leverage to force the tire up. You should see almost no movement....focus right on where the knuckle meets the C. Also, double check the torque on your TB bolts, both frame and axle side. They should be 125 ft lbs.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you!! I will definitely check. I just remembered when I turned the wheel slightly to the right there was a popping/bonk noise. We couldn't trace that noise. What I need to do is bring the jeep to my mechanic and use one of his bays so I can check out the front end. It's kind of hard to do outside in the street.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Might check hub and bearings. Not a perfect fit to my situation, but remember it getting wonky at high speeds... I just had to slow down. And can totally relate to hitting a bump in road.

Basically, every time the Jeep in on a lift, I ask mechanic to push and pull on the wheels/tires to see if there is any movement that should not be there. Can reveal multiple problems...
The following users liked this post:
valb97008 (11-30-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 392 Likes on 367 Posts

Here is a Very Fine Explanation on your "death wobble" with a check list.. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/di...les-78034.html
valb97008 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:05 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, if you bought only the Rough Country 2.5" with no add-ons, you might need to address the front track bar. Getting an adjustable one may be the ticket if you measure your track and find that it is off.

Full Traction Suspension Jeep JK Wrangler Adjustable Front Track Bar Installation Write-Up ? Project-JK.com
Old 12-04-2018, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

I will be checking that this weekend. I have a sneaky suspicion it may be the track bar. I have the RC Adjustable track bar 2.5-6" lift for the front and back. It's already on the jeep in the front but I realized my rear track bar wasn't put in just the extender bracket (I didn't have the rear adjustable track bar when the lift was first put in). I also adjusted the air in my tires which I need to do it again after I've driven on them. They were at 40psi and I aired down to 34.5 psi while it was cold (duh). I noticed not as much shake when I hit bumps. I still have the slight wiggle/wobble when I hit a bump a certain way but it's quick and goes away in seconds.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Update on the wiggle/wobble problem. It had gotten worse over the past month and I had noticed that when I would back up in to my driveway or my brothers driveway (bumpy) I would feel/hear a clunk and the rear felt squirmy. After checking the front end which everything was in fine shape we went to the back and noticed the lower rear shock bolts were loose so there was play. Then we checked the rear track bar and the bolt on the passenger side was EXTREMELY loose. My brother torqued the bolts to spec and now there is absolutely no wobble and no squirly rear end. Stupid me didn't go back and tighten everything after the recommended amount of break-in time. I had totally forgotten to do it and sadly my husband had passed away shortly after we did the lift so he wasn't here to remind me and I was not thinking straight. Yeah, loose bolts.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by valb97008
Update on the wiggle/wobble problem. It had gotten worse over the past month and I had noticed that when I would back up in to my driveway or my brothers driveway (bumpy) I would feel/hear a clunk and the rear felt squirmy. After checking the front end which everything was in fine shape we went to the back and noticed the lower rear shock bolts were loose so there was play. Then we checked the rear track bar and the bolt on the passenger side was EXTREMELY loose. My brother torqued the bolts to spec and now there is absolutely no wobble and no squirly rear end. Stupid me didn't go back and tighten everything after the recommended amount of break-in time. I had totally forgotten to do it and sadly my husband had passed away shortly after we did the lift so he wasn't here to remind me and I was not thinking straight. Yeah, loose bolts.
Right on! Good to hear you found the fix. I'll have to remember this one as I hadn't really considered the rear TB causing something like this (though, it does make sense when I think about it)
valb97008 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,901 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I hadn't really considered the rear TB causing something like this (though, it does make sense when I think about it)
I'm having a harder time envisioning this myself. I can't see how a loose rear TB bolt (or rear shock bolt) equates to a wobble in the front steering system. I have had a rear TB axle-side bracket completely shear off while driving, so I know what it feels like to have no rear TB connection at all (), and I can't see a loose bolt there making a huge difference.....although still not something you'd want.

The only thing I can think of is that we describe feelings differently. Anyhow, if your issue is resolved, that is the thing that matters.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble/Bump Steer after lift?