Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble after spring change and leveling kit

Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble after spring change and leveling kit

So today we installed new springs on my X.

Went from 13 and 14 up front to 17 and 18
Went from 55 to 59 in the rears.

Also installed a terra flex leveling kit (pucks)

Put on rubicon shocks all the way around.

While doing this the also put on spydertrax wheel spacers.
My wheels are stock 17 with 255/75/17 goodyears

On my way home on the highway I hit a bump on a bridge transition and had death wobble. Had to pull over and stop. I need to know what the cause could be. I looked at the other treads and plan on checking the track bar bolts but another ideas would be helpful.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Did you loosen all bolts in the suspension (control arms, track bar, etc) before putting on the hardware? With everything still loose and all the new hardware in, drop the Jeep down on it's full weight and tighten all bolts to torque spec.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

We didn't touch the control arms......
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Currently having the same problem. Your steering and suspension geometries are all off now, you need a complete lift. The front of your vehicle has been lifted more than 3 in. you need a front ajustable trackbar. Do your self a favor and take out ither the springs or the pucks before it cost you big bucks as it did me. Sell the coils or springs and get a teraflex lift. or oem lift. worth it in the long run/
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joisey
Currently having the same problem. Your steering and suspension geometries are all off now, you need a complete lift. The front of your vehicle has been lifted more than 3 in. you need a front ajustable trackbar. Do your self a favor and take out ither the springs or the pucks before it cost you big bucks as it did me. Sell the coils or springs and get a teraflex lift. or oem lift. worth it in the long run/
what kind of issues have you run into with this setup? Really like the look...I am bummed that I am having issues.

Last edited by jde164; 02-15-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Of course you like the look. Mine started with bump steer, then death wobble. then you start to wear out parts like ball joints and bushings. After a coupe of cases of d/w your welds start to crack. Trust me get rid of it before it starts to cost you real money. Im about to drop 3k for a full complete lift and then some, sell the coils and spacers keep the shocks and get the teraflx lift with shock extentions. It will save you alot of head aches.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am really beginning to think that.....I am so bummed that this didn't work out the way I wanted it to.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

So was I. I'm sorry, to be the bringer of bad news.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jde164
So today we installed new springs on my X.

Went from 13 and 14 up front to 17 and 18
Went from 55 to 59 in the rears.

Also installed a terra flex leveling kit (pucks)

Put on rubicon shocks all the way around.

While doing this the also put on spydertrax wheel spacers.
My wheels are stock 17 with 255/75/17 goodyears

On my way home on the highway I hit a bump on a bridge transition and had death wobble. Had to pull over and stop. I need to know what the cause could be. I looked at the other treads and plan on checking the track bar bolts but another ideas would be helpful.
How many miles on your goodyears? I had terrible DW and I was told it was my tires. I got new tires and the problem is gone completely. The JK has an extremely sensitive front end that is very prone to death wobble. Your tires might of been cupped like mine were and when you modified your jeep, it was just enough to push them over the edge. Those goodyear wranglers are GARBAGE. Google them and read the terrible reviews. My seasoned mechanic said that if it wasn't my tires then definitely the trac bar. Even though you put some new equipment on your jeep, I would definitely question your tires. I cant stress enough how crappy those tires are. I put on Kumho ATs and I cannot believe how smooth and stable it drives now!!! I have tried to induce DW with my new rubber and cant even coax a small shimmy
Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude, it's fine! Check all if your torque specs... Balance wheels... That lift is not over 3 inchs....

Quick Reply: Death Wobble after spring change and leveling kit