Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DEATH WOBBLE after lifting!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running stock wheels/tires still?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Running stock wheels/tires still?
stock tires on procomp 7089s. the plan is to upgrade to 35s, but i need to get this squared away first!

so i traded out vehicles with my dad over lunch. i have friday off, so i'll put the jeep up on stands then. hopefully loosening everything up on the stands and then retorquing everything back on the ground does the trick....
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loosen everything, put the jeep back on the ground, give it a good shake and rock back and forth a few times, torque everything (USE A TORQUE WRENCH), drive it a few miles, re-torque. you may have to remove the front track bar to make sure the holes havent wallowed out from the DW.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
loosen everything, put the jeep back on the ground, give it a good shake and rock back and forth a few times, torque everything (USE A TORQUE WRENCH), drive it a few miles, re-torque. you may have to remove the front track bar to make sure the holes havent wallowed out from the DW.
x2 on this.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do a search for a thread on death wobble by Planman. Easily the most step by step thread on the forums. Or pm him if you can't find it, don't know where he finds the time but he helps a lot of people.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE!

on friday, i finally got a chance to put the jeep back up on the stands. i removed the trackbars and loosened all the control arm bolts before jacking it up (same as before).

I specifically tried to loosen up the control arm bolts more, in case i didn't loosen them up enough last time. I also hit them with some WD-40 in case they were binding during torqueing and throwing it off (grabbing at straws ).

i also was sure to put the jackstands under the frame this time. i couldn't remember if i was sure to put them under the frame instead of the axle the first time.

not sure what the difference was, but when i put the jeep back on the ground, installed the trackbars, and retorqued all the control arm bolts, the Death Wobble was GONE!!!

i slowly tested it out, and gradually increased speed and changed road conditions. before i couldn't drive above 25 mph without a grain of sand on the road giving me the DW. i got the jeep above 65 mph and hit all types of bumps without a problem.

my only issue is that now i have DW induced PTSD. every little bump i feel in the steering wheel gives me a mini heart attack. hopefully it won't take too long to get back to the carefree driving experience i used to have.

thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions, from an appreciative Death Wobble survivor!

-Chris
Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pegleg6
UPDATE!

on friday, i finally got a chance to put the jeep back up on the stands. i removed the trackbars and loosened all the control arm bolts before jacking it up (same as before).

I specifically tried to loosen up the control arm bolts more, in case i didn't loosen them up enough last time. I also hit them with some WD-40 in case they were binding during torqueing and throwing it off (grabbing at straws ).

i also was sure to put the jackstands under the frame this time. i couldn't remember if i was sure to put them under the frame instead of the axle the first time.

not sure what the difference was, but when i put the jeep back on the ground, installed the trackbars, and retorqued all the control arm bolts, the Death Wobble was GONE!!!

i slowly tested it out, and gradually increased speed and changed road conditions. before i couldn't drive above 25 mph without a grain of sand on the road giving me the DW. i got the jeep above 65 mph and hit all types of bumps without a problem.

my only issue is that now i have DW induced PTSD. every little bump i feel in the steering wheel gives me a mini heart attack. hopefully it won't take too long to get back to the carefree driving experience i used to have.

thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions, from an appreciative Death Wobble survivor!

-Chris
Congrats on getting it fixed! BTW, the DW PTSD gets better but still stays in the back of your mind till you get a creak snap , click, vibration,etc of something else. Haha.Then you tend to focus on it. I suggest you loosen up your jack so it takes yours mind off it or put some marbles in your cubby.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a issue with this DW twice and have been looking for the cause. I found that one side of my frame side TB bracket was wallowed out and I am planning to weld some washers on both sides. For now I re TQ'ed the track bar and haven't had any issues yet but will still add the washers. It is weird but a full tank of gas seems to be better to reduce the DW or any weird steering wheel shakes from starting. I can feel a little more shake after bumps the lower the tank gets. So for now I will keep a full tank till my washers are on....

Quick Reply: DEATH WOBBLE after lifting!!!