Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble After Bumps @ 60 MPH+ RK 2.5 Stock Mod Kit

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Im hoping the combination of welding the bracket, getting my new toyos & another alignment will elimnate the problem.

If not, back to the drawing board....
Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wazooz2424

A steering stabilizer will not fix nor cause true DW.
Sure did for me. Hitting a pothole or bump at highway speed would cause an unbelievable steering shake that could only be remedied by slowing almost to a stop. Terrifying actually, hence "Death Wobble"
Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

This comes from my write-up thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles[/QUOTE]

Thanks planman, this write-up is the best! Was the basis for all the DW questions
Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write-up and check list. Hadn't seen before.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doberguy
Definitely fix up the track bar first.
Try more negative caster.
Check the ball joints, I was told some of them can go bad as early as 40k.
Good Luck
My bolt joints (drivers side) went bad at 30,000 K's. Had the dealer replace them under warranty.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTURBO
Sure did for me. Hitting a pothole or bump at highway speed would cause an unbelievable steering shake that could only be remedied by slowing almost to a stop. Terrifying actually, hence "Death Wobble"
It's possible that the stabilizer masked the DW, but there's no way it fixed it or was the cause. You can drive without a stabilizer.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation Change your tires!!!!

i own a 08 my friend owns an 07 both 2 dr models

mine came with the goodyear wranglers i had DW! installed skyjacker stabilizer I still had DW. added 3 Inch suspension lift still had DW!!! got my 33 in Mickey Thompson's and what do you no DW!!!! I've driven the same roads at the same speeds as before where I had DW and no more DW!!

Now to my friends JK he bought his with BFG All terrains never had DW so i sold him my old rims and tires after the upgrade, the day he put those 17 in. stock alloys with the Goodyear Wranglers on what do you know he almost died entering the tunnel on I-10 east towards FL. If you have ever driven this route you would know just how scary of an experience this would be. Sharp right turn downhill at 60+ mph. And the only place to go is head on into a 20ft tall 6ft wide concrete wall.

IDK if its the rims or the tires. Im thinking its probably the tires.

help this helps.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by betjeep09
i own a 08 my friend owns an 07 both 2 dr models

mine came with the goodyear wranglers i had DW! installed skyjacker stabilizer I still had DW. added 3 Inch suspension lift still had DW!!! got my 33 in Mickey Thompson's and what do you no DW!!!! I've driven the same roads at the same speeds as before where I had DW and no more DW!!

Now to my friends JK he bought his with BFG All terrains never had DW so i sold him my old rims and tires after the upgrade, the day he put those 17 in. stock alloys with the Goodyear Wranglers on what do you know he almost died entering the tunnel on I-10 east towards FL. If you have ever driven this route you would know just how scary of an experience this would be. Sharp right turn downhill at 60+ mph. And the only place to go is head on into a 20ft tall 6ft wide concrete wall.

IDK if its the rims or the tires. Im thinking its probably the tires.

help this helps.
Thanks for the input, hopefully my new tires will help.

Its got 33K miles so once im back home agin im going to check the ball joints. Any problem trying to get these replaced under warranty after such modifications?

I only bought my jeep a month ago, cant even enjoy it yet
Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by betjeep09
i own a 08 my friend owns an 07 both 2 dr models mine came with the goodyear wranglers i had DW! ..... the day he put those 17 in. stock alloys with the Goodyear Wranglers on what do you know he almost died entering the tunnel on I-10 east towards FL.....
My 2007 Unlimited came with those Wranglers and I had the same issues. I took it to the dealer twice and they said it was normal. I traded those Wranglers (with 800 miles on them) for Toyo Open Country AT's and my high speed wobbles went away. Those Goodyears are dangerous.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wow!

Hmm interesting info about the GoodYear Wranglers, I guess I have a hard time thinking that they are the source of my DW. I ran these exact tires and wheels on my WJ without any issues. I suppose that with the extra weight of the WJ I wouldn't have noticed this??? Also doesn't the Rubicon come from the factory with these exact tires? PLease correct me if I am wrong... They are expensive brand name tires... I guess I am bumming that I wont be able to get the use I wanted out of them...

Quick Reply: Death Wobble After Bumps @ 60 MPH+ RK 2.5 Stock Mod Kit