Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble After Bumps @ 60 MPH+ RK 2.5 Stock Mod Kit

Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrewer22
i found one of my problems to be the stock sway bar links. being there to small when u hit a bump it wollos out the holes and causes play in them.
Mmm I have the jks quick connects and just checked them again, everthing seemed tight.

Ill post up some pics tonight of the finished brackets, I think i did more grinding then welding Im not the most experienced welder but it doesnt need to look pretty!

How much is it to replace ball joints? Any decent aftermarkets that are affordable?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Former Member

Adjustable front lower arms will help with the handling.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

The only time I got death wobble was due to a blown steering stabilizer. Must have bashed it on the trail and noticed it was leaking. Had it replaced under warranty and haven't had the DW since. I suggest checking yours for leaks.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im sure a vendor will chime in but before you weld those washers on see if you cant get a new bracket of better bracket for that track bar. What if them washers come loose
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by h1ker
Im sure a vendor will chime in but before you weld those washers on see if you cant get a new bracket of better bracket for that track bar. What if them washers come loose
If the washer came loose it shouldnt be any worse of a problem I am seeing before welding them? Im using red lock tite so as long as the bolt doesnt come off I dont think there would be a difference? Now you got me thinking
Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same Issue

Hey guys, I am relatively new to the JK world, but far from new when it comes to Jeeps. After a few years with my last Jeep, a 2001 Limited Grand Cherokee (WJ); I decided it was time to own the vehicle that put Jeep on the map in the first place, a Wrangler. I recently purchased a 2007 JK, X model and plan on doing some major mods to it this spring. For the time being, I decided to throw on some beefy Tires that I had on my WJ. They are a little small for the JK, but a huge upgrade from the undersized wheel and tire combo that comes on most Wrangler X's. The wheel tire combo I used: 31x10.5 inch Good Year Mud Terrains on American Racing 15x8 inch classic wheels. I cannot remember for sure, but I think the backspacing is 3.45, again I am not positive if this is correct because they were bought about 3 years ago. Since running these wheel's and tires I have been experiencing major DW in-between 50-55, any other speed the jeep rides smooth and quite, aside from mud terrain sound these tires always provide. I am just wondering what my first order of business should be? I have played around with my tire pressure and re-tightened my lug nuts. Should I have it aligned? Could it be a sway bar issue? Or does running such a small rim cause this? I have been told that balancing large aggressive tires is not really worth it and I don't want really to put ugly wheel weights on my rims. I am a little discouraged because this is just a minor modification and I am already having issues. Any input about what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I am Sorry for stealing your post, I didn't want to be yelled at by all the JK pros out there for not using the thread search, but I can't seem to find a similar post....

Here are a few pics of the Set-up:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01566.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	107556   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01567.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	107557   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01565.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	107558  
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccamnu09

If the washer came loose it shouldnt be any worse of a problem I am seeing before welding them? Im using red lock tite so as long as the bolt doesnt come off I dont think there would be a difference? Now you got me thinking
I welded grade 8 washers. They have not come loose in two years.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

PS if anyone is intrested here is the RK 2.5 installed. 33x12.5x15 toyo mts go on saturday!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

I had the exact same problem on mine and wound up having the tires rebalanced (somehow I knocked off a couple of the weights) and the steering stabilizer replaced. With both corrected I haven't had any more problems. All of which was covered under warranty and not a penny out of me for the services.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTURBO
The only time I got death wobble was due to a blown steering stabilizer. Must have bashed it on the trail and noticed it was leaking. Had it replaced under warranty and haven't had the DW since. I suggest checking yours for leaks.
A steering stabilizer will not fix nor cause true DW.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble After Bumps @ 60 MPH+ RK 2.5 Stock Mod Kit